Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: collapsible box

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
      From: Chris <igelkottinus@...>

      I finally finished my box:
      COMMENT
      That's a nice job, Chris.
      Did you use cheap steel butt- hinges with the pins knocked-out and replaced by wire clips, to join the sides to the ends? I've not found a cheaper way of doing that in terms of money - though it takes a while to convert the hinges in terms of labour-time.
      Converting a set of 8 hinges for one of these boxes usually takes me about an hour at my workbench. I use "half-hard" fencing wire for the pins - and after the second set of chests, I made a bending jig for the wire clips, which speeded-up that part of the process.
      "Matthewe Baker" [who has now made quite a few of these flat-pack chests]

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
        I used 2 1/2" Narrow Steel Utility Hinges With Removable Pins. $3 a pair at home depot which adds up since I needed 5 pairs. I used galvanized steel wire which I think I picked up from the hanging ceiling section a long time ago to replace the hinge pins.

        Chris