Re: [MedievalSawdust] Patterns for pattens?

  • powell.sean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011

      Ignoring the authenticity topic I'd like to comment that no faux leather will perform quite like real leather. It won't stretch the same, it won't hold the right shape, it would make a lousy sole and an even worse hinge. It probably won't breath well and if it does it will be far from water repelant.

      If you need to stay vegan in your footwear it is easier for women then men. Wear slippers or cloth sandals as appropriate to a lady and then wear un-hinged pattens with tablet woven cloth straps and small buckles. My wife once stated that walking in an unhinged patent is easier then walking in heels. I imagine it's similar to wearing flip-flops.

      If you have a band-saw and about 2' of 2x4 (maybe 2x6 if wide feet) and a bandsaw you should be able to cut pine 1-piece pattens without a lot of difficulty. Trace the shoe, cut the side profile first then the top profile, inset the grooves for the straps then glue and brad them in place. The rest is going to be artistic license and variations of culture, season and decade. Not like you are trying to duplicate a 1986 pair of rebox air-jordans or something specific. :)

      Luck!

      Sean