Patterns for pattens?

  • Lara
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2011
      G'day from Lochac!

      So, having had great fun father-daughter bonding over making chests (I'll drag him into the SCA one day!), I've set myself the task of making some pattens for me and a few friends. (In fact, I have a brilliant plan of trading a pair for two pairs of easy vegan turnshoes, from a friend who's found a good faux leather, and then my friend and I will both be wonderfully shod.)

      But. I have come to the realisation that I'm wandering in the dark, so to speak. I can't seem to find any references to anyone who's made any in the last century, except for a few reproduction stores. The only ones that look feasable to make would be the flat ones like so (http://historicenterprises.com/pattens-hinged-wooden-p-1142.html?cPath=99_119), because the tall carved ones (say, the first example of patten here http://www.mercwars.com/pattens.shtml) look like they would be a lot of work.

      Has anyone got any experience making pattens? Or know anyone who does? Any recommendations?

      YiS,
      (C)Lara
    • Graham Eyre
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2011
        To be quite honest, I am quite surprised that the SCA is allowing anything Faux. I know here in New Zealand the SCA are sticklers for authenticity, I mean if something was made of wool then that is what should be used, if it was made of Sheepskin then it should be made of Sheepskin, etc. I can understand to a certain extent a Vegan Diet, but apart from that, no. I personally do not belong to the SCA but am into re-enactment, and do fraternize with SCA.

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Laura Iseman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 18, 2011
          Hi Clara, Waldo made a pair of hinged ones for me a while ago. They are not too complicated, just a bit fiddly. Let me know the next Stormhold thing you are coming to and I will bring them along. I think Rodrigo made some for him and Sara also, but theirs were the solid mule style with just a strap across the front of the foot.

          Miriam

          On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Lara <fireflyfae@...> wrote:

[...]

          __._,_

          --
          "The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves." -- Logan Pearsall Smith

        • Julian Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011
            From: Graham Eyre <geyre@...> wrote -
            To be quite honest, I am quite surprised that the SCA is allowing anything Faux. I know here in New Zealand the SCA are sticklers for authenticity, I mean if something was made of wool then that is what should be used, if it was made of Sheepskin then it should be made of Sheepskin, etc. I can understand to a certain extent a Vegan Diet, but apart from that, no. I personally do not belong to the SCA but am into re-enactment, and do fraternize with SCA.

            COMMENT

            Having been involved in setting-up a late-15th C re-enactment group in our little Isle, mostly appearing for the local Museum Service at our medieval Castle of Gorey, - [ under the client requirement "whatever you show the Public must be documentable in-period!"] - and having seen how many possible recruits were discouraged by the absolute authenticity standards being demanded - ["you can't play with us until ALL your kit passes our authenticity requirements!"; - something common to many, many re-enactment groups in the UK]; - - and then having joined the SCA in Southern England; - with their attitude - of  "you do whatever you can afford to do to let you come along and play; - and you can improve your equipment later, and we'll help you to do that when you are ready" - I can see how the 46-yr.-old "Society For Creative Anachronism" has become the largest and oldest group of medieval enthusiasts in the world.
            With well-over 30,000 members worldwide they must be doing something right, yes?
            If a group's authenticity requrements are set too high right at the start - possible recruits are frequently discouraged from joining at all; - I've seen it happen all too often. "Authenticity" costs time and/or money - because the enthusiast is trying to re-create the products of  a vanished infrastructure.
            Far better to do things the way the SCA manages matters, IMO, - get the newbie attending and interested first - and then gently encourage him/her to strive for higher authenticity standards as they get more involved and more enthusiastic.

             Matthewe Baker.

          • Julian Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011
              COMMENT
              Master Terafan Greydragon has made pattens, and I think has the HTDIY notes on his website at <www.greydragon.org>
              Matthewe Baker

[...]

            • Bobby Bourgoin
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011

                I’m glad the SCA aren’t as sticklers for authenticity here, if they were, I couldn’t afford being a member…

                Here we generally say if it looks medieval from 10 feet away you’re good to go… And our Barony can’t afford to be too strict; we hover around the minimum membership and have a hard time filling our officers’ roster.

                My clothes are poly-cotton blends that do the job {and resist better to packing, washing etc}. I fight in black plastic armor (that is based on authentic patterns) with a metal helm {at 1/3 the price of all metal armor}.  My wood work has modern hardware (mostly hidden) {cause I can’t find someone to make medieval hardware at a decent price}

                Just a few examples….

                Depending on were you live, you can be more or less authentic.  And there is another point to think that is often debated here on authenticity;

                Is this wood authentic for this project etc…?  My thoughts a woodworker would have used local woods available, and not go great distances to get “exotic” or wood that is not found locally.  Same for a leatherworker etc…  If sheepskin wasn’t available he probably would of use cow or other skins…

                But that’s just my thoughts… and than again you can fall into the special orders, I want that piece, but with this material…  Does that make it un-authentic?

                I don’t want to burst anybody’s bubble.  These are just my thoughts on the subject.  If you feel authenticity is using the exact same materials then ok and if you feel authenticity is using what you have available (like I think they would of done back then) then ok…  We are all here doing this because we like spending time doing what we do.  And should continue to enjoy doing what we do.

                Bobby

              • powell.sean@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19, 2011

                  Ignoring the authenticity topic I'd like to comment that no faux leather will perform quite like real leather. It won't stretch the same, it won't hold the right shape, it would make a lousy sole and an even worse hinge. It probably won't breath well and if it does it will be far from water repelant.

                  If you need to stay vegan in your footwear it is easier for women then men. Wear slippers or cloth sandals as appropriate to a lady and then wear un-hinged pattens with tablet woven cloth straps and small buckles. My wife once stated that walking in an unhinged patent is easier then walking in heels. I imagine it's similar to wearing flip-flops.

                  If you have a band-saw and about 2' of 2x4 (maybe 2x6 if wide feet) and a bandsaw you should be able to cut pine 1-piece pattens without a lot of difficulty. Trace the shoe, cut the side profile first then the top profile, inset the grooves for the straps then glue and brad them in place. The rest is going to be artistic license and variations of culture, season and decade. Not like you are trying to duplicate a 1986 pair of rebox air-jordans or something specific. :)

                  Luck!

                  Sean