RE: [medievalsawdust] Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15 3:34 PM
      Interesting comments.

      There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups for the
      feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my legs so I
      never found anything really comfortable

      --
      In service to the dream,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      (Take time to dance in the rain)

      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 15 3:52 PM

        >> I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working
        before we get told off by the moderator.  Richard Larmer <<

        ;-D   Hummm...  moderator is my apprentice... interesting topic... "Wouldn't you agree apprentice???"  ;-D

        Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all.   Like Richard, I also wear wool hosen.  M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so...  wool wicks the water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good stuff.

        I do have to admit that when I got back from this weekends event and started reading the list I thought I stumbled onto the "Age of the Cotehardie" list that m'Lady reads... but hey... nothing like working on a 14th c. woodworking project using 14th. c. tools in 14th c. garb...

        Lovin' it...
        Chas.
      • matchstc
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 15 7:54 PM
          Hi Folks

          I've been lurking here and gotten a lot of good info.

          On the garb topic, it is relevant what you wear. Your garb cna
          change the way you react, hold a tool or how long you work!

          I ran a papermaking mill at War last year, powered by a four foot
          Great Wheel. I had a lot of help from kids but none of them were as
          comfortable as I was in tights and a chemise.

          I'll be the first to admit my tights are period (yet) being cotton
          with a bit of lycra but they do well for midwest June weather.

          seeya
          mighel

          - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
          <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:

          > Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period
          garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all. Like Richard, I also
          wear wool hosen. M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief
          they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so... wool wicks the
          water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good
          stuff.

        • Lord Alessandro dEste
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 17 5:40 AM
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
            > Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
            > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic,
            where that
            > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
            > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
            >
            > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have
            to pee
            > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your
            advice is
            > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
            > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
            >
            > Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...
            >
            > Colin

            Colin
            My Lady recomends that you have garters to hold them up.
            The wool will stretch and hold tite to form.But the linen will need to
            be gartered. "so they don't fall down". This has been a big thread on
            Authentic_SCA list.

            Alessandro
          • Lord Alessandro dEste
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 17 5:50 AM
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
              wrote:
              > Interesting comments.
              >
              > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
              for the
              > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
              legs so I
              > never found anything really comfortable
              >
              > --
              > In service to the dream,
              >
              > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              > Privateer to the Midrealm

              bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
              I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
              Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
              Alessandro dEste
            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 17 7:33 AM
                Hi all,

                I'm looking for a repeating acanthus pattern for a 1.5" belt. I was
                wondering if anyone has seen a woodcarving pattern that I can adapt.

                Thanks,
                Ulrich

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
              • Lord Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 17 10:00 AM
                  Ulrich
                  check out this site it mite help.
                  http://www.carvingpatterns.com/thumbs/panels-thumb.html
                  Alessandro
                • Dan Baker
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 17 11:01 AM
                    I was told Dunham Sports,

                    --
                    In service to the dream,

                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    Privateer to the Midrealm

                    Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                    (Take time to dance in the rain)

                    Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                    >From: "Lord Alessandro dEste" <avalonbear@...>
                    >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb
                    >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:50:04 -0000
                    >
                    >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                    >wrote:
                    > > Interesting comments.
                    > >
                    > > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                    >for the
                    > > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                    >legs so I
                    > > never found anything really comfortable
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > In service to the dream,
                    > >
                    > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                    >
                    >bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                    >I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                    >Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                    >Alessandro dEste

                    Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!