RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 13, 2011
      > I am planning on being there for some of the time.

      Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
      > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
      >
      > Langdon

      Just out of curiosity, where exactly is that? I've made a couple trips to an Amish Mill near Pennsic, owned by a gentleman named Gideon.

      Vels

    • Helen Schultz
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 13, 2011
        That is probably a good idea, since unless wood is commercially processed (i.e., kiln dried), it cannot be brought into the State or County.  This is because of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak.

        Just saying. <smile>

        ~~ Katarina Helene

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 13, 2011
          The ban is on fire wood and Ash with bark intact, the Ash is safe if all bark and inner bark layers are removed.
          Here is more info on the Ash Borer:http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
          I have been part of a educational traveling show for the last few years. The furniture made from trees that were killed by the borer:http://www.risingfromashes.org/gallery/index.html
          No other species of wood is affected by Emerald Ash Borer.

          In Service
          Hal

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          From: helen.schultz@...
          Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:13:25 -0400
          Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

          That is probably a good idea, since unless wood is commercially processed (i.e., kiln dried), it cannot be brought into the State or County.  This is because of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak.

          Just saying. <smile>

          ~~ Katarina Helene

          I am planning on being there for some of the time.
          Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
          Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

          Langdon

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

          So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
          5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

          > Avery

        • Mark Patchett
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
            I think a road trip to a nearby sawmill would be a great idea, but I don't think I can make it out on the Saturday.
            Would you have directions and/or contact info that you could post to the list, for anyone that wanted to go at another time?
            I would love to go sometime early during setup week, since my 2nd week is mostly spent on the field.
            We made up some new trestle tables for our camp this year, and I would love to be able to pick up some wood there, to make up some more benches to go with them.

            -Sir Edward the Red, Ealdormere

            On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
            > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
            > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
            > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
            >
            > Langdon
          • Robert Betts

              On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
              > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
              > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
              > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
              >
              > Langdon

            • Pat Smith

                On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                >
                > Langdon

              • Will Langdon of Greymorne
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                  The Sawmill is about 1/2 mile away. (It is just up the riad past the Old Woods Battle site. Just North of Copers and across I-79). The name is Alben Sawmill, the owner Ray Alben and his son Dave run it. The web site is albensawmill.com; the phone is 724-368-8298 and their address is 609 West Park Rd. Portersville PA 16051. If you look up a map of Coopers, you can find the sawmill very easily. You will want to give Ray a call to see when he is going to be home. Though he lives there be doesn't always stay home to watch the lumber dry...

                  Langdon (Ray knows me as Lou)

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Mark Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

                  > I think a road trip to a nearby sawmill would be a great idea, but I don't think I can make it out on the Saturday.
                  > Would you have directions and/or contact info that you could post to the list, for anyone that wanted to go at another time?
                  > I would love to go sometime early during setup week, since my 2nd week is mostly spent on the field.
                  > We made up some new trestle tables for our camp this year, and I would love to be able to pick up some wood there, to make up some more benches to go with them.
                  >
                  > -Sir Edward the Red, Ealdormere
                  >
                  > On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                  > > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                  > > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                  > > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                  > >
                  > > Langdon

                • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 20, 2016
                    I did some searching around on the class schedule and here's what I
                    found. Most of these are from our own Kai Saer Pren. I managed to make
                    it to part of one of Kai's "Intro" classes last year, and it was great.
                    I am not teaching any classes at all this year, and I'm hoping to make
                    it to more.

                    08-02 09:00 4.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Intro to Woodworking, Part A THL Kai SaerPren

                    Two half days Tuesday and Wednesday; an overview of hand wood work, with
                    an opportunity to try things out. We will start on Tuesday morning with
                    a chunk of a log and by noon we should have some boards or other
                    furniture parts using wedges, axes, froes, drawknives, spokeshaves and
                    wood planes. On Wednesday we will look at making joints, boring, and
                    maybe a bit of carving. Covers saws, chisels, and planes. Extensive
                    instructions on the selection, use and maintenance of all these tools
                    will be covered. The class will be taught both first week and again
                    second week. Students who cannot attend the whole class are encouraged
                    to drop in or out at their convenience.

                    08-02 15:00 1.5 A&S 7
                    Introduction to Spoon Carving Duke Gavin Kilkenny

                    A hands-on introduction to techniques for carving spoons and other
                    treenware from green wood. Participants are encouraged to bring their
                    own knives. We will be carving green wood blanks to make simple spoons
                    by using hand axes and knives.

                    08-02 15:00 2.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Sharpening Everything for Woodworking THL Kai SaerPren

                    How to sharpen everything! This class is an extension of my woodworking
                    class. Thus I will focus on sharpening woodworking tools, but the
                    principles are the same for all cutting implements. We will cover
                    several concepts and methods but the focus (like mine) will be on how I
                    do it... without expensive jigs and other do-hickies. We will review,
                    then sharpen, anything you bring - and all of my tools.

                    08-03 09:00 4.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Intro to Woodworking, Part B THL Kai SaerPren

                    Two half days Tuesday and Wednesday; an overview of hand wood work, with
                    an opportunity to try things out. We will start on Tuesday morning with
                    a chunk of a log and by noon we should have some boards or other
                    furniture parts using wedges, axes, froes, drawknives, spokeshaves and
                    wood planes. On Wednesday we will look at making joints, boring, and
                    maybe a bit of carving. Covers saws, chisels, and planes. Extensive
                    instructions on the selection, use and maintenance of all these tools
                    will be covered. The class will be taught both first week and again
                    second week. Students who cannot attend the whole class are encouraged
                    to drop in or out at their convenience.

                    08-04 09:00 1.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Woodworking: Older Work-Holding Devices THL Kai SaerPren

                    A discussion of older or primitive work-holding devices and methods for
                    working with wood. Holding the wood still while pounding a mortise
                    chisel into it is only the start. Modern vices are nice, but what did
                    they use in period? Will cover an array of setups to cover most needs.

                    08-04 10:00 3.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Woodwork Shop Time THL Kai SaerPren

                    When learning, we all need some time to try doing things while someone
                    who has been there before is watching. This class makes some time at
                    Pennsic for just that! Whether or not you have taken my classes, you are
                    welcome to come in and use my bench(es) and ask for advice. This will
                    overlap with a discussion on early work holding methods. All day both
                    Thursdays!

                    08-04 14:00 3.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Woodwork Shop Time THL Kai SaerPren

                    When learning, we all need some time to try doing things while someone
                    who has been there before is watching. This class makes some time at
                    Pennsic for just that! Whether or not you have taken my classes, you are
                    welcome to come in and use my bench(es) and ask for advice. This will
                    overlap with a discussion on early work holding methods. All day both
                    Thursdays!

                    08-04 16:00 1.0 Cynnabar (W02)
                    Enhance Your Camp Lord Gregor Reinhardt von Holstein

                    Join us at our camp to learn about how to make personal camp
                    improvements that can enhance both its appearance as well as your own
                    quality of life. Most projects are made from wood with basic tools and
                    do not require special knowledge, skills, or equipment. Handouts will be
                    available for each camp project ($1/handout), including our camp cart,
                    kitchen worktable, sink with foot pump, trestle table, benches, chairs,
                    clothes rack, armor stand, canvas organizer, and more.

                    08-06 12:00 1.5 A&S 6
                    Introduction to Spoon Carving Duke Gavin Kilkenny

                    A hands-on introduction to techniques for carving spoons and other
                    treenware from green wood. Participants are encouraged to bring their
                    own knives. We will be carving green wood blanks to make simple spoons
                    by using hand axes and knives.

                    08-07 16:00 1.5 A&S 13
                    Making a Glastonbury "Lite" Chair Baron Eick der Rotnacken

                    Tired of the look and limited life span of Coleman chairs? Learn the
                    tips and techniques you need to make a wooden folding chair with
                    Glastonbury-style arms. It folds to 6" thick, holds up to 300 lbs, (my
                    wife and I tested it), and can be decorated. Additional information on a
                    CD will be available for $5.

                    08-09 09:00 4.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Intro to Woodworking, Part A THL Kai SaerPren

                    Two half days Tuesday and Wednesday; an overview of hand wood work, with
                    an opportunity to try things out. We will start on Tuesday morning with
                    a chunk of a log and by noon we should have some boards or other
                    furniture parts using wedges, axes, froes, drawknives, spokeshaves and
                    wood planes. On Wednesday we will look at making joints, boring, and
                    maybe a bit of carving. Covers saws, chisels, and planes. Extensive
                    instructions on the selection, use and maintenance of all these tools
                    will be covered. The class will be taught both first week and again
                    second week. Students who cannot attend the whole class are encouraged
                    to drop in or out at their convenience.

                    08-09 15:00 2.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Sharpening Everything for Woodworking THL Kai SaerPren

                    How to sharpen everything! This class is an extension of my woodworking
                    class. Thus I will focus on sharpening woodworking tools, but the
                    principles are the same for all cutting implements. We will cover
                    several concepts and methods but the focus (like mine) will be on how I
                    do it... without expensive jigs and other do-hickies. We will review,
                    then sharpen, anything you bring - and all of my tools.

                    08-10 09:00 4.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Intro to Woodworking, Part B THL Kai SaerPren

                    Two half days Tuesday and Wednesday; an overview of hand wood work, with
                    an opportunity to try things out. We will start on Tuesday morning with
                    a chunk of a log and by noon we should have some boards or other
                    furniture parts using wedges, axes, froes, drawknives, spokeshaves and
                    wood planes. On Wednesday we will look at making joints, boring, and
                    maybe a bit of carving. Covers saws, chisels, and planes. Extensive
                    instructions on the selection, use and maintenance of all these tools
                    will be covered. The class will be taught both first week and again
                    second week. Students who cannot attend the whole class are encouraged
                    to drop in or out at their convenience.

                    08-10 16:00 1.5 A&S 6
                    Introduction to Spoon Carving Duke Gavin Kilkenny

                    A hands-on introduction to techniques for carving spoons and other
                    treenware from green wood. Participants are encouraged to bring their
                    own knives. We will be carving green wood blanks to make simple spoons
                    by using hand axes and knives.

                    08-11 09:00 1.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Woodworking: Older Work-Holding Devices THL Kai SaerPren

                    A discussion of older or primitive work-holding devices and methods for
                    working with wood. Holding the wood still while pounding a mortise
                    chisel into it is only the start. Modern vices are nice, but what did
                    they use in period? Will cover an array of setups to cover most needs.

                    08-11 10:00 3.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)
                    Woodwork Shop Time THL Kai SaerPren

                    When learning, we all need some time to try doing things while someone
                    who has been there before is watching. This class makes some time at
                    Pennsic for just that! Whether or not you have taken my classes, you are
                    welcome to come in and use my bench(es) and ask for advice. This will
                    overlap with a discussion on early work holding methods. All day both
                    Thursdays!

                    08-11 15:00 3.0 Hus Faerhaga (N08)

                    --
                    Ishiyama roku-i Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                    (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 21, 2016
                      fyi, everyone is welcome to wander in and wander out of my classes according to how much time you have. don't feel obliged to commit your whole morning if you can't. just come in and sneak out when you have to ;)
                      Hoping you are all well
                      aka THL Kai SaerPren
                    • kai_saerpren
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 21, 2016
                        maybe I could help with this?
                      • kai_saerpren
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 21, 2016
                          THIS!!! everyone show up for this please!
                        • whutchis23
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 7, 2016
                            Kai,
                            Came to your workholding class - very informative; thanks!   Do you have a reference for the article that described the Pompeian "boatbuilders" workbench?   I think you said it was National Geographic - any idea on the year or month?
                            Thanks again,
                                 -----Gille MacDhnouill
                          • kai_saerpren
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 7, 2016
                              I have tried searching for that. I read it @ 1984, but it might have been one of my father's old editions in the cellar. I have gone to Smithsonian, National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, Popular woodworking and several other places and done searches and never again found it. which makes me sad, as I cannot now document it. In 1984 when I made that vise, I needed a vise and had no need for any documentation. So I did not bother much about keeping track of exactly when or where I found the idea.

                              I'm sorry that I'm not more helpful about this. "I read it somewhere" is all I can give you at this time.

                            • Sean Powell
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7, 2016
                                The vasa workbench has something similar but it's on the front, not the top. I haven't seen anything that had a wedge on top.

                                Sean

                                On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 2:31 PM, kaisaerpren@... [medievalsawdust] <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                I have tried searching for that. I read it @ 1984, but it might have been one of my father's old editions in the cellar. I have gone to Smithsonian, National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, Popular woodworking and several other places and done searches and never again found it. which makes me sad, as I cannot now document it. In 1984 when I made that vise, I needed a vise and had no need for any documentation. So I did not bother much about keeping track of exactly when or where I found the idea.

                                I'm sorry that I'm not more helpful about this. "I read it somewhere" is all I can give you at this time.

                              • Broom
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 8, 2016
                                  For those of us who weren't there, can you describe the bench?

                                  I'm curious now!

                                  ' |   Broom      IAmBroom @ gmail . com
                                  ' |   cellphone:           412-389-1997
                                  '\|/  1838 Spring Garden Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
                                  '/|\  "Discere et docere", which means:
                                  //|\\ "Unabridged (meaning 'bigger than Collegiate')" - William Safire
                                • jljonsn9663
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 9, 2016
                                    Popular woodworking did an article:

                                    Early 17th-century Swedish Joiner's Bench - Popular Woodworking Magazine

                                  • dj_larue
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 9, 2016
                                    Hi

                                    The work holding device Kai showed us was not a crochet, as on the bench mentioned, but it was a wedge system.  I took a picture of it.

                                    See attached (I hope)

                                    Iohn Spooner, itinerant treenmaker
                                  • kai_saerpren
                                    Message 18 of 25 , Jan 4
                                    you can find a picture of it in my photo's (Kai's Photos) here under the name of "pompei vise" or some such nonsense... ;)
                                    the rectangular blocks are fastened to the bench top (rivited in the original, screwed in mine). the wedge with the toe is loose. ram your stock into the gap against the toe and it clamps down hard, tap it with a hammer to get it back out..
                                    the width that it can grab is limited, and the height needs to be taller than the 2" blocks. but it you set it up to grab a 2" wide piece you can put a spacer behind the wedge to use it for thinner.
                                    not very good for very small pieces but great for holding boards on edge.
                                  • Sean Powell
                                    Message 19 of 25 , Jan 4
                                      I think that this is a fantastic device and I fully intend on putting on on the next bench I build (I was thinking it might be possible for it to be a drop-in using holes for hold-fasts...

                                      ...but I have found 0 pictures for this online and don't have a lot of research texts for Pompeii. Does anyone have any pictures of what is supposed to be the inspiration for this device?

                                      Thanks,
                                      Sean

                                      [Attachment(s) from kaisaerpren@... [medievalsawdust] included below]