Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 12, 2011
      Avery:
      > They had one day scheduled for woodworking, but I
      > groveled at one of the organizers feet and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
      > 5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.

      Pervert.

      Useful guy, but still a perv.

      :-)
    • John LaTorre
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 12, 2011
        Fiadnata ó Gleann Àlainn wrote:

        > To give a bit more structure to what Avery has said, the tent on Artisans
        > Row will open for set-up between 9:00-10:00 AM, with full activities
        > occurring from 10:00 AM to 4:30-5:00 PM (depending on the weather and
        > interests of the participants). If the tent is busy all day, and the
        > participants are interested, they are free to stay in the tent as late as
        > they like, and I am trying to encourage "social hours" in the evenings, so
        > that the days can be spent working with the populace coming in off the
        > street.

        I will certainly visit this, although I will not be bringing any tools
        or such since I am traveling from so far away. However, I have set up a
        similar shop at past Estrella Wars and hope to do the same at this
        fall's Great Western War, if there is enough interest among prospective
        participants. I'm keen to see how this works out.

        Johann von Drachenfels
        West Kingdom
      • Gary Link
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 12, 2011
          I'll be there for a bit, might bring some carving projects.

          In Service
          Hal

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          From: jlatorre@...
          Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:05:13 -0700
          Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

          Fiadnata ó Gleann Àlainn wrote:

          > To give a bit more structure to what Avery has said, the tent on Artisans
          > Row will open for set-up between 9:00-10:00 AM, with full activities
          > occurring from 10:00 AM to 4:30-5:00 PM (depending on the weather and
          > interests of the participants). If the tent is busy all day, and the
          > participants are interested, they are free to stay in the tent as late as
          > they like, and I am trying to encourage "social hours" in the evenings, so
          > that the days can be spent working with the populace coming in off the
          > street.

          I will certainly visit this, although I will not be bringing any tools
          or such since I am traveling from so far away. However, I have set up a
          similar shop at past Estrella Wars and hope to do the same at this
          fall's Great Western War, if there is enough interest among prospective
          participants. I'm keen to see how this works out.

          Johann von Drachenfels
          West Kingdom

        • Will Langdon of Greymorne
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
            I am planning on being there for some of the time.
            Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
            Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

            Langdon

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

            So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
            5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

            > Avery

          • Vels inn Viggladi
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
              > I am planning on being there for some of the time.

              Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
              > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
              >
              > Langdon

              Just out of curiosity, where exactly is that? I've made a couple trips to an Amish Mill near Pennsic, owned by a gentleman named Gideon.

              Vels

            • Helen Schultz
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
                That is probably a good idea, since unless wood is commercially processed (i.e., kiln dried), it cannot be brought into the State or County.  This is because of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak.

                Just saying. <smile>

                ~~ Katarina Helene

                I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

                Langdon

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

                So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
                5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

                > Avery

              • Gary Link
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
                  The ban is on fire wood and Ash with bark intact, the Ash is safe if all bark and inner bark layers are removed.
                  Here is more info on the Ash Borer:http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
                  I have been part of a educational traveling show for the last few years. The furniture made from trees that were killed by the borer:http://www.risingfromashes.org/gallery/index.html
                  No other species of wood is affected by Emerald Ash Borer.

                  In Service
                  Hal

                  To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  From: helen.schultz@...
                  Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:13:25 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

                  That is probably a good idea, since unless wood is commercially processed (i.e., kiln dried), it cannot be brought into the State or County.  This is because of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak.

                  Just saying. <smile>

                  ~~ Katarina Helene

                  I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                  Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                  Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

                  Langdon

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

                  So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
                  5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

                  > Avery

                • Mark Patchett
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 19, 2011
                    I think a road trip to a nearby sawmill would be a great idea, but I don't think I can make it out on the Saturday.
                    Would you have directions and/or contact info that you could post to the list, for anyone that wanted to go at another time?
                    I would love to go sometime early during setup week, since my 2nd week is mostly spent on the field.
                    We made up some new trestle tables for our camp this year, and I would love to be able to pick up some wood there, to make up some more benches to go with them.

                    -Sir Edward the Red, Ealdormere

                    On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                    > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                    > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                    > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                    >
                    > Langdon
                  • Robert Betts

                      On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                      > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                      > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                      > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                      >
                      > Langdon

                    • Pat Smith

                        On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                        > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                        > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                        > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                        >
                        > Langdon

                      • Will Langdon of Greymorne
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 20, 2011
                          The Sawmill is about 1/2 mile away. (It is just up the riad past the Old Woods Battle site. Just North of Copers and across I-79). The name is Alben Sawmill, the owner Ray Alben and his son Dave run it. The web site is albensawmill.com; the phone is 724-368-8298 and their address is 609 West Park Rd. Portersville PA 16051. If you look up a map of Coopers, you can find the sawmill very easily. You will want to give Ray a call to see when he is going to be home. Though he lives there be doesn't always stay home to watch the lumber dry...

                          Langdon (Ray knows me as Lou)