Re: [medievalsawdust] Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb

  • Andrew Lowry
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
      Fortunately there are at least two merchants selling linen hose at
      Pennsic.

      I don't recall having the pleasure to meet you at Pennsic before (I
      have a terrible memory for remembering people and with so many people
      at Pennsic it is more difficult). If you are there this year I would
      like to meet you. Your comments on this list and the TC list are
      interesting

      Richard Larmer

      On 15-Feb-04, at 1:14 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

      > Andrew, thanks for all the good information!  I've only ever worn wool
      > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where
      > that
      > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard.  Now I feel a little
      > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
      >
      > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause.  (Some folks just have
      > to pee
      > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.)   But your
      > advice is
      > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
      > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
      >
      > Thanks again.  Now back to the woodwrecking...
      >
      > Colin
      >

      > Albion Works
      > Furniture and Accessories
      > For the Medievalist!
      > http://www.albionworks.net
      > http://www.albionworks.com

    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
        Interesting comments.

        There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups for the
        feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my legs so I
        never found anything really comfortable

        --
        In service to the dream,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        (Take time to dance in the rain)

        Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004

          >> I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working
          before we get told off by the moderator.  Richard Larmer <<

          ;-D   Hummm...  moderator is my apprentice... interesting topic... "Wouldn't you agree apprentice???"  ;-D

          Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all.   Like Richard, I also wear wool hosen.  M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so...  wool wicks the water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good stuff.

          I do have to admit that when I got back from this weekends event and started reading the list I thought I stumbled onto the "Age of the Cotehardie" list that m'Lady reads... but hey... nothing like working on a 14th c. woodworking project using 14th. c. tools in 14th c. garb...

          Lovin' it...
          Chas.
        • matchstc
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
            Hi Folks

            I've been lurking here and gotten a lot of good info.

            On the garb topic, it is relevant what you wear. Your garb cna
            change the way you react, hold a tool or how long you work!

            I ran a papermaking mill at War last year, powered by a four foot
            Great Wheel. I had a lot of help from kids but none of them were as
            comfortable as I was in tights and a chemise.

            I'll be the first to admit my tights are period (yet) being cotton
            with a bit of lycra but they do well for midwest June weather.

            seeya
            mighel

            - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
            <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:

            > Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period
            garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all. Like Richard, I also
            wear wool hosen. M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief
            they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so... wool wicks the
            water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good
            stuff.

          • Lord Alessandro dEste
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
              > Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
              > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic,
              where that
              > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
              > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
              >
              > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have
              to pee
              > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your
              advice is
              > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
              > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
              >
              > Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...
              >
              > Colin

              Colin
              My Lady recomends that you have garters to hold them up.
              The wool will stretch and hold tite to form.But the linen will need to
              be gartered. "so they don't fall down". This has been a big thread on
              Authentic_SCA list.

              Alessandro
            • Lord Alessandro dEste
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                wrote:
                > Interesting comments.
                >
                > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                for the
                > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                legs so I
                > never found anything really comfortable
                >
                > --
                > In service to the dream,
                >
                > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                > Privateer to the Midrealm

                bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                Alessandro dEste
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                  Hi all,

                  I'm looking for a repeating acanthus pattern for a 1.5" belt. I was
                  wondering if anyone has seen a woodcarving pattern that I can adapt.

                  Thanks,
                  Ulrich

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                • Lord Alessandro dEste
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                    Ulrich
                    check out this site it mite help.
                    http://www.carvingpatterns.com/thumbs/panels-thumb.html
                    Alessandro
                  • Dan Baker
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                      I was told Dunham Sports,

                      --
                      In service to the dream,

                      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                      Privateer to the Midrealm

                      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                      (Take time to dance in the rain)

                      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                      >From: "Lord Alessandro dEste" <avalonbear@...>
                      >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb
                      >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:50:04 -0000
                      >
                      >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                      >wrote:
                      > > Interesting comments.
                      > >
                      > > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                      >for the
                      > > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                      >legs so I
                      > > never found anything really comfortable
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > In service to the dream,
                      > >
                      > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                      > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                      >
                      >bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                      >I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                      >Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                      >Alessandro dEste

                      Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!