Woodworking at Pennsic

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11, 2011

      So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, but I groveled at one of the organizers feet and now there are three: Friday, Aug. 5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.

      I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

      Avery

    • Pennsic Artisans
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11, 2011
        Greetings All,

        To give a bit more structure to what Avery has said, the tent on Artisans Row will open for set-up between 9:00-10:00 AM, with full activities occurring from 10:00 AM to 4:30-5:00 PM (depending on the weather and interests of the participants). If the tent is busy all day, and the participants are interested, they are free to stay in the tent as late as they like, and I am trying to encourage "social hours" in the evenings, so that the days can be spent working with the populace coming in off the street.

        Since Avery asked so nicely, I said he could have the same tent on Friday and Saturday of the middle weekend, so I would encourage everyone to bring your tools and supplies in containers that you would feel safe leaving in the tent overnight. Keep this in mind as you are packing.

        I am very much looking forward to seeing how woodworking goes as a topic on Artisans Row. It sounds like it should be great fun, and I know I have been having lots of fun, with the little bit of woodworking I have been able to play with, this year. I'll be easy to find -- I'll be the one in the motorized scooter. ("Always know where the curb is" -- my current motto....)

        --
        In Service,

        Fiadnata ó Gleann Àlainn
        Dean of the School of Applied Arts (Artisans Row)
        Pennsic University 40

        On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

        So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, but I groveled at one of the organizers feet and now there are three: Friday, Aug. 5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.

        I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

        Avery

        --
        In Service,

        Fiadnata ó Gleann Àlainn
        Dean of the School of Applied Arts (Artisans Row)
        Pennsic University

      • Broom
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 12, 2011
          Avery:
          > They had one day scheduled for woodworking, but I
          > groveled at one of the organizers feet and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
          > 5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.

          Pervert.

          Useful guy, but still a perv.

          :-)
        • John LaTorre
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 12, 2011
            Fiadnata ó Gleann Àlainn wrote:

            > To give a bit more structure to what Avery has said, the tent on Artisans
            > Row will open for set-up between 9:00-10:00 AM, with full activities
            > occurring from 10:00 AM to 4:30-5:00 PM (depending on the weather and
            > interests of the participants). If the tent is busy all day, and the
            > participants are interested, they are free to stay in the tent as late as
            > they like, and I am trying to encourage "social hours" in the evenings, so
            > that the days can be spent working with the populace coming in off the
            > street.

            I will certainly visit this, although I will not be bringing any tools
            or such since I am traveling from so far away. However, I have set up a
            similar shop at past Estrella Wars and hope to do the same at this
            fall's Great Western War, if there is enough interest among prospective
            participants. I'm keen to see how this works out.

            Johann von Drachenfels
            West Kingdom
          • Gary Link
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 12, 2011
              I'll be there for a bit, might bring some carving projects.

              In Service
              Hal

              To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              From: jlatorre@...
              Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:05:13 -0700
              Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

              Fiadnata ó Gleann Àlainn wrote:

              > To give a bit more structure to what Avery has said, the tent on Artisans
              > Row will open for set-up between 9:00-10:00 AM, with full activities
              > occurring from 10:00 AM to 4:30-5:00 PM (depending on the weather and
              > interests of the participants). If the tent is busy all day, and the
              > participants are interested, they are free to stay in the tent as late as
              > they like, and I am trying to encourage "social hours" in the evenings, so
              > that the days can be spent working with the populace coming in off the
              > street.

              I will certainly visit this, although I will not be bringing any tools
              or such since I am traveling from so far away. However, I have set up a
              similar shop at past Estrella Wars and hope to do the same at this
              fall's Great Western War, if there is enough interest among prospective
              participants. I'm keen to see how this works out.

              Johann von Drachenfels
              West Kingdom

            • Will Langdon of Greymorne
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
                I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

                Langdon

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

                So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
                5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

                > Avery

              • Vels inn Viggladi
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
                  > I am planning on being there for some of the time.

                  Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                  > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                  >
                  > Langdon

                  Just out of curiosity, where exactly is that? I've made a couple trips to an Amish Mill near Pennsic, owned by a gentleman named Gideon.

                  Vels

                • Helen Schultz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
                    That is probably a good idea, since unless wood is commercially processed (i.e., kiln dried), it cannot be brought into the State or County.  This is because of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak.

                    Just saying. <smile>

                    ~~ Katarina Helene

                    I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                    Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                    Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

                    Langdon

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

                    So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
                    5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

                    > Avery

                  • Gary Link
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
                      The ban is on fire wood and Ash with bark intact, the Ash is safe if all bark and inner bark layers are removed.
                      Here is more info on the Ash Borer:http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
                      I have been part of a educational traveling show for the last few years. The furniture made from trees that were killed by the borer:http://www.risingfromashes.org/gallery/index.html
                      No other species of wood is affected by Emerald Ash Borer.

                      In Service
                      Hal

                      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                      From: helen.schultz@...
                      Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:13:25 -0400
                      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Woodworking at Pennsic

                      That is probably a good idea, since unless wood is commercially processed (i.e., kiln dried), it cannot be brought into the State or County.  This is because of the Emerald Ash Borer outbreak.

                      Just saying. <smile>

                      ~~ Katarina Helene

                      I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                      Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                      Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.

                      Langdon

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

                      So they're setting up a number of tents at Pennsic for Artisans to get together and do Artisany type things.  They had one day scheduled for woodworking, ... and now there are three: Friday, Aug.
                      5th, Saturday, Aug. 6th and Wednesday, Aug. 10th.   I don't know that there is going to be any sort of formal plan (I know I haven't got one).  I'm pretty much going to show up in the morning with wood and tools and then make something out of the wood.  Bring some toys and join me!

                      > Avery

                    • Mark Patchett
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 19, 2011
                        I think a road trip to a nearby sawmill would be a great idea, but I don't think I can make it out on the Saturday.
                        Would you have directions and/or contact info that you could post to the list, for anyone that wanted to go at another time?
                        I would love to go sometime early during setup week, since my 2nd week is mostly spent on the field.
                        We made up some new trestle tables for our camp this year, and I would love to be able to pick up some wood there, to make up some more benches to go with them.

                        -Sir Edward the Red, Ealdormere

                        On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                        > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                        > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                        > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                        >
                        > Langdon
                      • Robert Betts

                          On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                          > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                          > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                          > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                          >
                          > Langdon

                        • Pat Smith

                            On 2011-07-13 11:35 AM, Will Langdon of Greymorne wrote:
                            > I am planning on being there for some of the time.
                            > Question; Would it be useful to run over to the nearby sawmill to buy wood for folks? The boards there are VERY inexpensive for Oak, Cherry, Ash, Maple, Poplar. And Ray can plane the wood so it is finished 2 sides. The boards for a bench or box would be about $20.00 more or less...
                            > Just an idea. maybe someting to mention on Friday for first thing on the Sat. session.
                            >
                            > Langdon

                          • Will Langdon of Greymorne
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 20, 2011
                              The Sawmill is about 1/2 mile away. (It is just up the riad past the Old Woods Battle site. Just North of Copers and across I-79). The name is Alben Sawmill, the owner Ray Alben and his son Dave run it. The web site is albensawmill.com; the phone is 724-368-8298 and their address is 609 West Park Rd. Portersville PA 16051. If you look up a map of Coopers, you can find the sawmill very easily. You will want to give Ray a call to see when he is going to be home. Though he lives there be doesn't always stay home to watch the lumber dry...

                              Langdon (Ray knows me as Lou)