Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: period glue documentation

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 2, 2011
      >  On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:
      >    One really important thing to consider, and I doubt there have been many if any studies of this done, is how long do natural glues survive before entropy catches up with the natural biodegradability?
      >
      >    If an adhesive is expected to remain intact for a human lifetime, then it makes a pretty good reinforcement for any joint. If a glue breaks down after a few decades or so, how much would be left beyond minute evidence after a few centuries?
      >
      >    Vels

      Why wouldn't have been studied, as it's a vital link to archaeological
      clues? By parallel example, the usage of linen is typically indicated
      by its absence, as it often rots away leaving only the silken threads
      and woolen cloths that attached to it.

      Hide glues can survive at least 8,000 years.
      http://www.archaeology.org/online/news/glue.html

      Pine resin glues have a similar survivability.
      http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac0155862

      ' | PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS, STARTING IN AUGUST:
      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      '\|/ 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      '/|\ "I think I'm going to start calling myself either a conserberal
      //|\\ or a libervative." - Bag-o-Nugs, Fark
    • D. Young
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 13, 2011
        Well said Tim.

        There was actually a really good discussion on Peter Follansbees blog about green wood and the implication behind it.    From my own experience of directly felled, split or sawn and worked oak tree to lumber, I can say that the term green wood is often misunderstood to literally mean that  the piece of furniture was made within days  of the trees felling.    Clearly this is not the case as it really takes at least 3-4 weeks to dry the outer surface of the lumber to get a good planing job done on it, and often carve it.    I think joined furniture takes off in large measure by the 15th century because of the increasing lack of oak...joined work is often composed of smaller pieces.  But by the 17th century and importation of oaks from the Americas, joined work may have simply become fashion (by that period).

        And with respect to glues, veneering and marquetry require seasoned wood.   Even if the outer layers are dry, the evaporation will erode the strength of most glues, loosening the applied layer.

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com