Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Period workmans garb

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
      Conal,

      > Somedays I might be willing to put
      >up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
      >having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
      >summer....

      Hah! Earthquakes (well, big ones, anyway) are pretty rare, but you have
      that miserable weather all the time! :-D

      I'll take my chances with the quakes for a while longer, in exchange for
      this marvelous weather. It's what we pay all those taxes for, anyway,
      innit? ;-)

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
      http://www.albionworks.net
      http://www.albionworks.com
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
        Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
        hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where that
        unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
        better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.

        I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have to pee
        on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your advice is
        well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
        several... you may have saved me both time and money!

        Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...

        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        http://www.albionworks.net
        http://www.albionworks.com
      • Andrew Lowry
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
          Fortunately there are at least two merchants selling linen hose at
          Pennsic.

          I don't recall having the pleasure to meet you at Pennsic before (I
          have a terrible memory for remembering people and with so many people
          at Pennsic it is more difficult). If you are there this year I would
          like to meet you. Your comments on this list and the TC list are
          interesting

          Richard Larmer

          On 15-Feb-04, at 1:14 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

          > Andrew, thanks for all the good information!  I've only ever worn wool
          > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where
          > that
          > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard.  Now I feel a little
          > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
          >
          > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause.  (Some folks just have
          > to pee
          > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.)   But your
          > advice is
          > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
          > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
          >
          > Thanks again.  Now back to the woodwrecking...
          >
          > Colin
          >

          > Albion Works
          > Furniture and Accessories
          > For the Medievalist!
          > http://www.albionworks.net
          > http://www.albionworks.com

        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
            Interesting comments.

            There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups for the
            feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my legs so I
            never found anything really comfortable

            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004

              >> I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working
              before we get told off by the moderator.  Richard Larmer <<

              ;-D   Hummm...  moderator is my apprentice... interesting topic... "Wouldn't you agree apprentice???"  ;-D

              Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all.   Like Richard, I also wear wool hosen.  M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so...  wool wicks the water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good stuff.

              I do have to admit that when I got back from this weekends event and started reading the list I thought I stumbled onto the "Age of the Cotehardie" list that m'Lady reads... but hey... nothing like working on a 14th c. woodworking project using 14th. c. tools in 14th c. garb...

              Lovin' it...
              Chas.
            • matchstc
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                Hi Folks

                I've been lurking here and gotten a lot of good info.

                On the garb topic, it is relevant what you wear. Your garb cna
                change the way you react, hold a tool or how long you work!

                I ran a papermaking mill at War last year, powered by a four foot
                Great Wheel. I had a lot of help from kids but none of them were as
                comfortable as I was in tights and a chemise.

                I'll be the first to admit my tights are period (yet) being cotton
                with a bit of lycra but they do well for midwest June weather.

                seeya
                mighel

                - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:

                > Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period
                garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all. Like Richard, I also
                wear wool hosen. M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief
                they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so... wool wicks the
                water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good
                stuff.

              • Lord Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
                  > Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
                  > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic,
                  where that
                  > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
                  > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
                  >
                  > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have
                  to pee
                  > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your
                  advice is
                  > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
                  > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
                  >
                  > Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...
                  >
                  > Colin

                  Colin
                  My Lady recomends that you have garters to hold them up.
                  The wool will stretch and hold tite to form.But the linen will need to
                  be gartered. "so they don't fall down". This has been a big thread on
                  Authentic_SCA list.

                  Alessandro
                • Lord Alessandro dEste
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > Interesting comments.
                    >
                    > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                    for the
                    > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                    legs so I
                    > never found anything really comfortable
                    >
                    > --
                    > In service to the dream,
                    >
                    > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    > Privateer to the Midrealm

                    bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                    I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                    Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                    Alessandro dEste
                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                      Hi all,

                      I'm looking for a repeating acanthus pattern for a 1.5" belt. I was
                      wondering if anyone has seen a woodcarving pattern that I can adapt.

                      Thanks,
                      Ulrich

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                    • Lord Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                        Ulrich
                        check out this site it mite help.
                        http://www.carvingpatterns.com/thumbs/panels-thumb.html
                        Alessandro
                      • Dan Baker
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                          I was told Dunham Sports,

                          --
                          In service to the dream,

                          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                          Privateer to the Midrealm

                          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                          (Take time to dance in the rain)

                          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                          >From: "Lord Alessandro dEste" <avalonbear@...>
                          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb
                          >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:50:04 -0000
                          >
                          >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                          >wrote:
                          > > Interesting comments.
                          > >
                          > > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                          >for the
                          > > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                          >legs so I
                          > > never found anything really comfortable
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > In service to the dream,
                          > >
                          > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                          > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                          >
                          >bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                          >I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                          >Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                          >Alessandro dEste

                          Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!