Misc gluing tips

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011
      OK, not specifically medieval, but I've been building cabinets for a
      friend whose house burnt down, and has had to move into a gutted-out
      trailer...

      When gluing an exposed surface, first coat nice finishes with vaseline
      or rub with soap. The glue won't stick, and any excess that dries
      outside the joint will be easier to remove without damaging the
      finish.

      When sealing a "blind split" (one that doesn't separate the piece into
      two complete pieces), first clamp the piece tight, then apply a
      liberal trail of glue along the split (on all sides, continuously),
      then release the clamps. The suction of the opening split will pull
      glue into the crack. Reclamp and clean. (And prep beforehand with
      vaseline/soap, as mentioned above, if the finish is delicate.)

      FWIW.

      ' | PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS, STARTING IN AUGUST:
      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      '\|/ cellphone: 412-389-1997
      '/|\ 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      //|\\ "Allas, allas, that evere love was synne!" - the Wyf of Bath
    • Jeffrey Johnson

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011

          Brilliant!!!

          Must try next time I have a split in wood I want to use!!!

          Bobby

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011

            Sounds better than trying to push it in with a splinter.

            On Jul 1, 2011 1:12 AM, "Bobby Bourgoin" <bobby.bourgoin@...> wrote:
            > Brilliant!!!
            >
            > Must try next time I have a split in wood I want to use!!!
            >

            > Bobby
            >

            > _____

          • kirkdrago
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2011
              My luck, you couldn't have posted that trick a week ago. I just fixed a crack in a cabinet door. But I'll definitly remember for the next time.

              KirkD
            • leaking pen