period glue documentation

  • Jim Hart
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 28, 2011
      I've got someone asking me for documentable type resources for period glues....

      I'm buried under real life at the moment....

      Can anyone help?

      --
      Jim Hart
        Conal OhAirt

    • D. Young
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 13, 2011
        Well said Tim.

        There was actually a really good discussion on Peter Follansbees blog about green wood and the implication behind it.    From my own experience of directly felled, split or sawn and worked oak tree to lumber, I can say that the term green wood is often misunderstood to literally mean that  the piece of furniture was made within days  of the trees felling.    Clearly this is not the case as it really takes at least 3-4 weeks to dry the outer surface of the lumber to get a good planing job done on it, and often carve it.    I think joined furniture takes off in large measure by the 15th century because of the increasing lack of oak...joined work is often composed of smaller pieces.  But by the 17th century and importation of oaks from the Americas, joined work may have simply become fashion (by that period).

        And with respect to glues, veneering and marquetry require seasoned wood.   Even if the outer layers are dry, the evaporation will erode the strength of most glues, loosening the applied layer.

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com