Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Period workmans garb

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004

      > >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend
      > wool hose instead of linen
      >
      > Just out of curiosity - why? Is there evidence that
      > linen was NOT used for
      > hose in the 14th c?
      >
      > It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal
      > climate that Don is
      > likely to experience.

      I wear linen because I can't wear wool.

      But I will agree wool looks better, wear it
      if you can.

      Druing warm weather I keep then rolled down to
      my knees and hold them up with garters, so linen
      is good then also. ( hot and humid around here in
      the midwest. ) Somedays I might be willing to put
      up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
      having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
      summer....

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
        Definately not periiod, but, a Duke recomended ro me that I try Cotton
        Bicycle pants in place of hose as they are comfortable and a reasonable
        subsitute. I normally will not wear hose, but thought I might try it out.
        He was telling me they stand up to heavy fighting so they ought to be fine
        for fencing. As to how they would look for a period kit for a workman, I
        have no idea, but it might be worth considering. They are available from
        most sporting goods stores at a reasonable price.

        --
        In service to the dream,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        (Take time to dance in the rain)

        Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

        >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Period workmans garb
        >Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 05:14:37 -0800 (PST)
        >

        > > >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend
        > > wool hose instead of linen
        > >
        > > Just out of curiosity - why? Is there evidence that
        > > linen was NOT used for
        > > hose in the 14th c?
        > >
        > > It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal
        > > climate that Don is
        > > likely to experience.
        >

        >I wear linen because I can't wear wool.
        >
        >But I will agree wool looks better, wear it
        >if you can.
        >
        >Druing warm weather I keep then rolled down to
        >my knees and hold them up with garters, so linen
        >is good then also. ( hot and humid around here in
        >the midwest. ) Somedays I might be willing to put
        >up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
        >having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
        >summer....
        >

        >=====
        >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        >Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
        >
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '

      • Andrew Lowry
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
          Colin,

          I am not aware of evidence that linen was not used for hose in the 14th
          C. I do know that wool was used.

          My comments are based upon my wearing of both linen and wool hose over
          the past 8 years. I own both and wear braes and chauses (hose) at hot
          events such as Pennsic and Lilies. I like wool as it fits and works so
          much better than linen. I find on most days I can walk around with my
          wool chause on and still be comfortable.

          Wool has more stretch than linen so it can be fitted better to the
          shape of the leg. Linen has to be more open in the lower part to get
          over the foot so one has a baggy calf.

          In really hot weather or when working hard one will may want to roll
          down the chause to expose the thighs to allow cooling. BTW I consider
          it bad matters to have the chause rolled down in formal events such as
          court. Much as one would not attend a wedding with your dress shirt
          sleeves rolled up in the 21 th century we do not see people with chause
          rolled down in 14 th century courts.

          I find that I can roll my wool chause down to below the knee and it
          rolled with some care they are self supporting and do not require a
          garter. Linen even with a garter and some care with rolling will often
          fall down after a while leaving one with an embarrassing pile of linen
          around the foot.

          Lord Rhys made a comment about wearing bicycle pants instead of hose. I
          think he may be confusing braes and chauses. the braes are the boxer
          short like underwear worn in the 14 th century. The chauses cover the
          actual leg and come up over the braes. I find braes very comfortable
          and being of cotton or linen are cool or warm as the conditions
          require.

          i do wear modern sweat pants for my fighting braes and chauses. I
          actually use women's walking pants or sweats, as they are lighter
          material and better fit than men's sweats. I wear white braes and the
          separate sweat pant legs, trimmed and sewn for the chause. This allows
          me to make a set for under $10, have different colours on each leg.
          Being sweat material they do well in athletics and I do not ruin a $40
          pair of wool hose while fighting.

          I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working before we
          get told off by the moderator.

          Richard Larmer

          On 15-Feb-04, at 12:21 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

          > Agreeing with everything Richard said (perhaps excepting his
          > definition of
          > "high-end" furniture!  ;-)), one thing struck me:
          >
          > >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend wool hose instead
          > of linen
          >
          > Just out of curiosity - why?  Is there evidence that linen was NOT
          > used for
          > hose in the 14th c?
          >
          > It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal climate that Don
          > is
          > likely to experience.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Colin
          >

          > Albion Works
          > Furniture and Accessories
          > For the Medievalist!
          > http://www.albionworks.net
          > http://www.albionworks.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Service.

        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
            Conal,

            > Somedays I might be willing to put
            >up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
            >having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
            >summer....

            Hah! Earthquakes (well, big ones, anyway) are pretty rare, but you have
            that miserable weather all the time! :-D

            I'll take my chances with the quakes for a while longer, in exchange for
            this marvelous weather. It's what we pay all those taxes for, anyway,
            innit? ;-)

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
            http://www.albionworks.net
            http://www.albionworks.com
          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
              Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
              hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where that
              unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
              better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.

              I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have to pee
              on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your advice is
              well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
              several... you may have saved me both time and money!

              Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...

              Colin

              Albion Works
              Furniture and Accessories
              For the Medievalist!
              http://www.albionworks.net
              http://www.albionworks.com
            • Andrew Lowry
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                Fortunately there are at least two merchants selling linen hose at
                Pennsic.

                I don't recall having the pleasure to meet you at Pennsic before (I
                have a terrible memory for remembering people and with so many people
                at Pennsic it is more difficult). If you are there this year I would
                like to meet you. Your comments on this list and the TC list are
                interesting

                Richard Larmer

                On 15-Feb-04, at 1:14 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

                > Andrew, thanks for all the good information!  I've only ever worn wool
                > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where
                > that
                > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard.  Now I feel a little
                > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
                >
                > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause.  (Some folks just have
                > to pee
                > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.)   But your
                > advice is
                > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
                > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
                >
                > Thanks again.  Now back to the woodwrecking...
                >
                > Colin
                >

                > Albion Works
                > Furniture and Accessories
                > For the Medievalist!
                > http://www.albionworks.net
                > http://www.albionworks.com

              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                  Interesting comments.

                  There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups for the
                  feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my legs so I
                  never found anything really comfortable

                  --

                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004

                    >> I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working
                    before we get told off by the moderator.  Richard Larmer <<

                    ;-D   Hummm...  moderator is my apprentice... interesting topic... "Wouldn't you agree apprentice???"  ;-D

                    Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all.   Like Richard, I also wear wool hosen.  M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so...  wool wicks the water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good stuff.

                    I do have to admit that when I got back from this weekends event and started reading the list I thought I stumbled onto the "Age of the Cotehardie" list that m'Lady reads... but hey... nothing like working on a 14th c. woodworking project using 14th. c. tools in 14th c. garb...

                    Lovin' it...
                    Chas.
                  • matchstc
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                      Hi Folks

                      I've been lurking here and gotten a lot of good info.

                      On the garb topic, it is relevant what you wear. Your garb cna
                      change the way you react, hold a tool or how long you work!

                      I ran a papermaking mill at War last year, powered by a four foot
                      Great Wheel. I had a lot of help from kids but none of them were as
                      comfortable as I was in tights and a chemise.

                      I'll be the first to admit my tights are period (yet) being cotton
                      with a bit of lycra but they do well for midwest June weather.

                      seeya
                      mighel

                      - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                      <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:

                      > Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period
                      garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all. Like Richard, I also
                      wear wool hosen. M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief
                      they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so... wool wicks the
                      water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good
                      stuff.

                    • Lord Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
                        > Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
                        > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic,
                        where that
                        > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
                        > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
                        >
                        > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have
                        to pee
                        > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your
                        advice is
                        > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
                        > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
                        >
                        > Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...
                        >
                        > Colin

                        Colin
                        My Lady recomends that you have garters to hold them up.
                        The wool will stretch and hold tite to form.But the linen will need to
                        be gartered. "so they don't fall down". This has been a big thread on
                        Authentic_SCA list.

                        Alessandro
                      • Lord Alessandro dEste
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                          wrote:
                          > Interesting comments.
                          >
                          > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                          for the
                          > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                          legs so I
                          > never found anything really comfortable
                          >
                          > --
                          > In service to the dream,
                          >
                          > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                          > Privateer to the Midrealm

                          bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                          I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                          Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                          Alessandro dEste
                        • Joseph Hayes
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                            Hi all,

                            I'm looking for a repeating acanthus pattern for a 1.5" belt. I was
                            wondering if anyone has seen a woodcarving pattern that I can adapt.

                            Thanks,
                            Ulrich

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                              Ulrich
                              check out this site it mite help.
                              http://www.carvingpatterns.com/thumbs/panels-thumb.html
                              Alessandro
                            • Dan Baker
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                                I was told Dunham Sports,

                                --
                                In service to the dream,

                                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                Privateer to the Midrealm

                                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                                (Take time to dance in the rain)

                                Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                                >From: "Lord Alessandro dEste" <avalonbear@...>
                                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb
                                >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:50:04 -0000
                                >
                                >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                                >wrote:
                                > > Interesting comments.
                                > >
                                > > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                                >for the
                                > > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                                >legs so I
                                > > never found anything really comfortable
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > In service to the dream,
                                > >
                                > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                                >
                                >bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                                >I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                                >Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                                >Alessandro dEste

                                Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!