Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Trestle table with post like legs? help

  • Andrew Lowry
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 12, 2004
      Is that Barley Hall in York England, in the Shambles area? Looks a lot
      like it.

      Richard

      On 9-Feb-04, at 11:48 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

      > BTW, where was that photo taken?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Colin

    • Lord Alessandro dEste
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

        > BTW, where was that photo taken?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Colin

        Colin the pic is from a site in the uk ,Ill see if I can find the site
        again..
        Alessandro
      • Lord Alessandro dEste
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Lowry <alowry@w...> wrote:
          > Is that Barley Hall in York England, in the Shambles area? Looks a lot
          > like it.
          >
          > Richard

          Yes thats the place "Barley Hall in York England"
          Thank you Richard.
          Alessandro
        • Lord Alessandro dEste
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
            Barley Hall in York England,
            http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/contents.html
          • Andrew Lowry
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 20, 2004
              I was in York England in May 1996. If you ever get over to England plan
              a few days in York. One can get reasonable B&B near the medieval walls
              (or in one case built into the wall). The place is amazing to just walk
              around in. The downtown is still medieval as it never 'modernized'
              during the English Industrial Revolution nor did it have a large city
              wide fire (a common method of urban renewal until about 150 years ago).
              So one can shop in 14 th century buildings drink ale in a pub where
              General Wolfe was born and of course there is the Minster which is an
              amazing church. The medieval wall still surrounds the city and the
              gates bear their medieval names. Barley Hall looks interesting but I
              only saw in the window as it was closed for the season. So there is
              lots of period woodwork to see.

              The only problem I had with York was that walking around the
              cobblestone streets in modern clothes felt wrong. I wanted to in 14 th
              century kit with the feel of my leather pouch on my hip.

              The Royal Armoury at Leeds is under 100 km away so it makes a good side
              trip for a day.

              Richard