RE: [medievalsawdust] Trestle table with post like legs? help

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
      Message

      I think I may have seen something.  I’ll be leaving work directly for Midwinter A&S, but I’ll look at my references when I get home and see what I can find.

      Will

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2004
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lithium" <lithium@d...> wrote:
        > MessageHello everyone,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone knows of any on-line photos of trestle
        tables. What I really want to find is an in-period trestle table with
        a post leg. I have plenty of images of trestle table with wide legs,
        and only one image (1660 -pilgrim) of a narrow post like leg.

        > I have spend an huge amount of time on the net looking for this.
        >

        > Does that make sense?
        >
        > any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > I have an evil plan for a trestle table / lathe.
        >
        > Doh
        > Corinne
        > Gadgetry Guild of Tir Righ

        I just looked thru my pics her at home and I think i have a pic of
        what you are wanting. I posted it to the groups photo section. under
        Photo Albums > Bears pics > table its the last pic in that section.
        look at the table to the left side.
        Sandro
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2004
          >Photo Albums > Bears pics > table its the last pic in that section.
          >look at the table to the left side.

          That's another tripod table, isn't it? I thought the request was for the
          "trestle table" style with the longitudinal frame.

          This brings up once again the problem of terminology. "Trestle table"
          means something different from "table on trestles," which can be very
          confusing, but I can't see what can be done about it.

          BTW, where was that photo taken?

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          http://www.albionworks.net
          http://www.albionworks.com
        • Andrew Lowry
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 12, 2004
            Is that Barley Hall in York England, in the Shambles area? Looks a lot
            like it.

            Richard

            On 9-Feb-04, at 11:48 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

            > BTW, where was that photo taken?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Colin

          • Lord Alessandro dEste
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

              > BTW, where was that photo taken?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Colin

              Colin the pic is from a site in the uk ,Ill see if I can find the site
              again..
              Alessandro
            • Lord Alessandro dEste
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Lowry <alowry@w...> wrote:
                > Is that Barley Hall in York England, in the Shambles area? Looks a lot
                > like it.
                >
                > Richard

                Yes thats the place "Barley Hall in York England"
                Thank you Richard.
                Alessandro
              • Lord Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
                  Barley Hall in York England,
                  http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/contents.html
                • Andrew Lowry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 20, 2004
                    I was in York England in May 1996. If you ever get over to England plan
                    a few days in York. One can get reasonable B&B near the medieval walls
                    (or in one case built into the wall). The place is amazing to just walk
                    around in. The downtown is still medieval as it never 'modernized'
                    during the English Industrial Revolution nor did it have a large city
                    wide fire (a common method of urban renewal until about 150 years ago).
                    So one can shop in 14 th century buildings drink ale in a pub where
                    General Wolfe was born and of course there is the Minster which is an
                    amazing church. The medieval wall still surrounds the city and the
                    gates bear their medieval names. Barley Hall looks interesting but I
                    only saw in the window as it was closed for the season. So there is
                    lots of period woodwork to see.

                    The only problem I had with York was that walking around the
                    cobblestone streets in modern clothes felt wrong. I wanted to in 14 th
                    century kit with the feel of my leather pouch on my hip.

                    The Royal Armoury at Leeds is under 100 km away so it makes a good side
                    trip for a day.

                    Richard