Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tableware

  • bsrlee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
      For 'eating irons' first call is 'Knives & Scabards' in the Museum of
      London series. There are a couple of 'collectors' books out there, but
      you only get a couple of pages pre-17th Century.

      For wood bowls, 'The Wooden Bowl' by Robin Wood is still in print, the
      York Archeological Trust book on wooden objects is available from them
      on line as a .pdf (very slow connection) and 'Before the Mast' from the
      Mary Rose Trust - if you can find a copy.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney

      On 31/05/2011 9:58 PM, Kirtis wrote:
      > I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.
      >
      > Your advice is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Yaromir
    • Kirtis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        We are Rus with a bent toward Varangian and Byzantine cultural influences. I'm currently waffling on nailing down a time frame because there is so much flexibility if I don't make up my mind. Of course I want to make our stuff out of wood, but I'm not strictly opposed to any other options. Simpler is better.

        Again, thanks.

        Yaromir
      • Vels inn Viggladi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

          > We are Rus with a bent toward Varangian and Byzantine cultural influences. I'm currently waffling on nailing down a time frame because there is so much flexibility if I don't make up my mind. Of course I want to make our stuff out of wood, but I'm not strictly opposed to any other options. Simpler is better.
          >
          > Again, thanks.
          >
          > Yaromir

          If you're rowing toward the Bosporus, check out the Dumbarton Oaks Collection: http://www.doaks.org/museum/collection/byzantine/index.html

          ...Looks like their "Search the Collection" is down. The Dumbarton Oaks museum has a very large collection of table- and serving-ware.
          I have a few pics of various spoons and forks (http://vels.smugmug.com) of a couple serving spoons and a dining set that I rather liked. Details and pretties are details and pretties, but the overall form is where to start. I'm fair certain that DO has dedicated some book space to these, and there are probably other visitor pics out there as well.

          Vels
        • Jeffrey Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

            If you are Rus, you. MUST have "Wood use in Medieval Novgorod".