Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tableware

  • Jeffrey Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 1:47 PM

      What period, and how fancy?  Here in atlantia, and parts of the east, Eadric the potter pretty much has the market covered in reproduction quality pottery. For fancy pewter, billy and charlie covers the need.

      Both sell at pennsic. FWIW.

      Jeff

      On May 31, 2011 7:58 AM, "Kirtis" <fattius@...> wrote:

      > I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.
      >
      > Your advice is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Yaromir

    • bsrlee
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        For 'eating irons' first call is 'Knives & Scabards' in the Museum of
        London series. There are a couple of 'collectors' books out there, but
        you only get a couple of pages pre-17th Century.

        For wood bowls, 'The Wooden Bowl' by Robin Wood is still in print, the
        York Archeological Trust book on wooden objects is available from them
        on line as a .pdf (very slow connection) and 'Before the Mast' from the
        Mary Rose Trust - if you can find a copy.

        regards
        Brusi of Orkney

        On 31/05/2011 9:58 PM, Kirtis wrote:
        > I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.
        >
        > Your advice is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Yaromir
      • Kirtis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
          We are Rus with a bent toward Varangian and Byzantine cultural influences. I'm currently waffling on nailing down a time frame because there is so much flexibility if I don't make up my mind. Of course I want to make our stuff out of wood, but I'm not strictly opposed to any other options. Simpler is better.

          Again, thanks.

          Yaromir
        • Vels inn Viggladi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

            > We are Rus with a bent toward Varangian and Byzantine cultural influences. I'm currently waffling on nailing down a time frame because there is so much flexibility if I don't make up my mind. Of course I want to make our stuff out of wood, but I'm not strictly opposed to any other options. Simpler is better.
            >
            > Again, thanks.
            >
            > Yaromir

            If you're rowing toward the Bosporus, check out the Dumbarton Oaks Collection: http://www.doaks.org/museum/collection/byzantine/index.html

            ...Looks like their "Search the Collection" is down. The Dumbarton Oaks museum has a very large collection of table- and serving-ware.
            I have a few pics of various spoons and forks (http://vels.smugmug.com) of a couple serving spoons and a dining set that I rather liked. Details and pretties are details and pretties, but the overall form is where to start. I'm fair certain that DO has dedicated some book space to these, and there are probably other visitor pics out there as well.

            Vels
          • Jeffrey Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011

              If you are Rus, you. MUST have "Wood use in Medieval Novgorod".