Tableware

  • Kirtis
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2011
      I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.

      Your advice is greatly appreciated.

      Yaromir
    • Lynda Fjellman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2011
        By tableware, I'm assuming that you mean plates, bowls, cups etc?  You need to specify where and when.  Granted there are limited shapes available if you want a functional plate, but just what they really looked like (or if they actually had them!)  in "her" period ought to be of primary concern.
        Ilaria

        I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.

        Your advice is greatly appreciated.

        Yaromir

      • Jeffrey Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2011

          What period, and how fancy?  Here in atlantia, and parts of the east, Eadric the potter pretty much has the market covered in reproduction quality pottery. For fancy pewter, billy and charlie covers the need.

          Both sell at pennsic. FWIW.

          Jeff

          On May 31, 2011 7:58 AM, "Kirtis" <fattius@...> wrote:

          > I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.
          >
          > Your advice is greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Yaromir

        • bsrlee
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 12:44 AM
            For 'eating irons' first call is 'Knives & Scabards' in the Museum of
            London series. There are a couple of 'collectors' books out there, but
            you only get a couple of pages pre-17th Century.

            For wood bowls, 'The Wooden Bowl' by Robin Wood is still in print, the
            York Archeological Trust book on wooden objects is available from them
            on line as a .pdf (very slow connection) and 'Before the Mast' from the
            Mary Rose Trust - if you can find a copy.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney

            On 31/05/2011 9:58 PM, Kirtis wrote:
            > I'm considering building my Lady some tableware and am wondering if anyone has some good links or other resources that I could peruse for inspiration. I have some good concepts in mind, but wouldn't mind seeing some archaeological evidence that I'm on the right track.
            >
            > Your advice is greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Yaromir
          • Kirtis
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1 4:24 AM
              We are Rus with a bent toward Varangian and Byzantine cultural influences. I'm currently waffling on nailing down a time frame because there is so much flexibility if I don't make up my mind. Of course I want to make our stuff out of wood, but I'm not strictly opposed to any other options. Simpler is better.

              Again, thanks.

              Yaromir
            • Vels inn Viggladi
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1 5:56 AM

                > We are Rus with a bent toward Varangian and Byzantine cultural influences. I'm currently waffling on nailing down a time frame because there is so much flexibility if I don't make up my mind. Of course I want to make our stuff out of wood, but I'm not strictly opposed to any other options. Simpler is better.
                >
                > Again, thanks.
                >
                > Yaromir

                If you're rowing toward the Bosporus, check out the Dumbarton Oaks Collection: http://www.doaks.org/museum/collection/byzantine/index.html

                ...Looks like their "Search the Collection" is down. The Dumbarton Oaks museum has a very large collection of table- and serving-ware.
                I have a few pics of various spoons and forks (http://vels.smugmug.com) of a couple serving spoons and a dining set that I rather liked. Details and pretties are details and pretties, but the overall form is where to start. I'm fair certain that DO has dedicated some book space to these, and there are probably other visitor pics out there as well.

                Vels
              • Jeffrey Johnson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1 6:28 AM

                  If you are Rus, you. MUST have "Wood use in Medieval Novgorod".