Mastermyr chest on The Woodwright's Workshop

  • Kean Gryffyth
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2011
      Not sure if anyoen here has seen this, but Roy Underhill did an episode
      on the Mastermyr Chest. Interesting to watch, he visits another
      woodworker, a bodger and blacksmith by trade, who is replicating the
      tools. They have some nice footage of the locking mechanism.

      http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/schedule/28season_video.html

      -Kean
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2011
        Hi Kean,

        Yep, that is a very cool episode of the Woodwright's workshop that has been discussed here before. A quick search on this group using "woodwright" turned up posts #13546 on 11/29/2010 and #14213 on 3/26/2011 that started brief threads about the same episode.

        Thanks for bringing it up again for those that are new here or have mearly forgotten about it. You should check out some of his other episodes like the one on a pole lathe or the box with ring hinges.

        The book "The Mastermyr Find, ISBN: 9780965075510" has enough information to replicate the Mastermyr lock pretty accurately. That was my primary source for my recreation of the chest and lock. There are a few pictures of my version in "Eirikr's Camp" in this Yahoo group.

        In Service to the Dream,
        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi