collapsible box

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 10 , May 24, 2011
      I finally made a collapsible box inspired by several websites made by a few of you (ex. Tom Rettie and Greydragon). Here are some pics:

      http://home.armourarchive.org/members/igelkott/boxes/collapsible-box/pic1.jpg

      http://home.armourarchive.org/members/igelkott/boxes/collapsible-box/pic2.jpg

      The uprights are 2x4s and the rails are 1x3 pine. The plywood panels are 1/4" birch. I got some blue milk paint so I'm going to see how that works out. I've never used that before but I heard it works well.

      I already showed it to some folks in my camp and well, I guess I'm going to be pretty busy this summer. But it's fair since they've made garb for me many times....

      Thank you all for the inspiration.

      Chris
    • Rebekah Pierce
      Message 2 of 10 , May 24, 2011
        Bravo! Lovely work.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 24, 2011
          That looks really nice!

          Jovian

            Message 5 of 10 , May 24, 2011

              Nice work!!!

              Bobby

              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2011
                Thanks for the kind words! It was actually surprisingly simple to make. I got a request for the original links so here they are:

                http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/panelchests.html

                http://sites.google.com/site/robyyan/breakdownbox

                http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/projects/hutch.html

                Chris
              • Julian Wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , May 25, 2011
                  Since meeting Master Terafan in 2004, I've made several of these "takedown chests". Photos of one or two of them are in the Med. Encampments yahoo-group's photo file titled "Messire Baker's Camp & Works".
                  Because I run a joinery shop,for a local House-building & Refurbishment Co.,  - I find the design very useful as I can use "offcuts" of timber which are simply too small for use on sites [no requirements for small pieces of such sizes], that would otherwise be thrown out, or cut-up for firewood.
                  When I file-off the heads of the hinge-pins and punch-out the original pins, I make-up replacement removable pins as spring-clips,[shaped rather like very large "hair clips" - we call them "kirby grips" in the UK] bent-up around a specially-made forming jig, from "half-hard" fencing wire.
                  Works a treat.
                  Great design, and very useful in our encampment.
                  Matthewe Baker.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2011
                    I finally finished my box:

                    http://home.armourarchive.org/members/igelkott/boxes/collapsible-box/pic3.jpg

                    I used milk paint and I really like the results. I'm definitely going to use milk paint more often.

                    I was bad and coated it with a clear acrylic. I tried a sample with boiled linseed oil and I thought it darkened the color too much. The clear acrylic was recommended on the milk paint website in order to best retain the color so I tried it out and I'm pleased with the result.

                    Chris

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <igelkottinus@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the kind words! It was actually surprisingly simple to make. I got a request for the original links so here they are:
                    >
                    > http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/panelchests.html
                    >
                    > http://sites.google.com/site/robyyan/breakdownbox
                    >
                    > http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/projects/hutch.html
                    >
                    > Chris

                  • Julian Wilson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
                      From: Chris <igelkottinus@...>

                      I finally finished my box:
                      COMMENT
                      That's a nice job, Chris.
                      Did you use cheap steel butt- hinges with the pins knocked-out and replaced by wire clips, to join the sides to the ends? I've not found a cheaper way of doing that in terms of money - though it takes a while to convert the hinges in terms of labour-time.
                      Converting a set of 8 hinges for one of these boxes usually takes me about an hour at my workbench. I use "half-hard" fencing wire for the pins - and after the second set of chests, I made a bending jig for the wire clips, which speeded-up that part of the process.
                      "Matthewe Baker" [who has now made quite a few of these flat-pack chests]

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2011
                        I used 2 1/2" Narrow Steel Utility Hinges With Removable Pins. $3 a pair at home depot which adds up since I needed 5 pairs. I used galvanized steel wire which I think I picked up from the hanging ceiling section a long time ago to replace the hinge pins.

                        Chris