RE: [medievalsawdust] Trestle table with post like legs? help

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
      Message

      Can you be more specific as to what you mean by “post leg?”

      Will

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
        Message
        I have uploaded the image I have of the 1660 trestle table. I
        was having a hard time describing what I was looking for. I don't care if Its got 2 or 3 legs, Its just the general apperance I'm looking for. Time and region not really important as long as its pre-1650, preferably pre-1600

        Its in the album "Corinne Hennenberg"

        Any help would be great

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
          Message
              As it happens I just completed building a table for a customer/friend.  The of poplar, legs are wide at the base and top but only about 6' in between.  If this will help I will try to post a photo.  Wife lost the cable for the camera this will give me a reason to tell her to find the (*^&*^  thing.

              Omer

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
            Message

            I think I may have seen something.  I’ll be leaving work directly for Midwinter A&S, but I’ll look at my references when I get home and see what I can find.

            Will

            Can you be more specific as to what you mean by “post leg?”

            Will

            I was wondering if anyone knows of any on-line photos of trestle tables. What I really want to find is an in-period trestle table with a post leg. I have plenty of images of trestle table with wide legs, and only one image (1660 -pilgrim) of a narrow post like leg.

            I have spend an huge amount of time on the net looking for this.

            Does that make sense?

            any help would be greatly appreciated.

            I have an evil plan for a trestle table / lathe.

            Doh

            Corinne

            Gadgetry Guild of Tir Righ

          • Lord Alessandro dEste
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 9, 2004
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Lithium" <lithium@d...> wrote:
              > MessageHello everyone,
              >
              > I was wondering if anyone knows of any on-line photos of trestle
              tables. What I really want to find is an in-period trestle table with
              a post leg. I have plenty of images of trestle table with wide legs,
              and only one image (1660 -pilgrim) of a narrow post like leg.

              > I have spend an huge amount of time on the net looking for this.
              >

              > Does that make sense?
              >
              > any help would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > I have an evil plan for a trestle table / lathe.
              >
              > Doh
              > Corinne
              > Gadgetry Guild of Tir Righ

              I just looked thru my pics her at home and I think i have a pic of
              what you are wanting. I posted it to the groups photo section. under
              Photo Albums > Bears pics > table its the last pic in that section.
              look at the table to the left side.
              Sandro
            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2004
                >Photo Albums > Bears pics > table its the last pic in that section.
                >look at the table to the left side.

                That's another tripod table, isn't it? I thought the request was for the
                "trestle table" style with the longitudinal frame.

                This brings up once again the problem of terminology. "Trestle table"
                means something different from "table on trestles," which can be very
                confusing, but I can't see what can be done about it.

                BTW, where was that photo taken?

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
                http://www.albionworks.net
                http://www.albionworks.com
              • Andrew Lowry
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 12, 2004
                  Is that Barley Hall in York England, in the Shambles area? Looks a lot
                  like it.

                  Richard

                  On 9-Feb-04, at 11:48 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

                  > BTW, where was that photo taken?
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Colin

                • Lord Alessandro dEste
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

                    > BTW, where was that photo taken?
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Colin

                    Colin the pic is from a site in the uk ,Ill see if I can find the site
                    again..
                    Alessandro
                  • Lord Alessandro dEste
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Lowry <alowry@w...> wrote:
                      > Is that Barley Hall in York England, in the Shambles area? Looks a lot
                      > like it.
                      >
                      > Richard

                      Yes thats the place "Barley Hall in York England"
                      Thank you Richard.
                      Alessandro
                    • Lord Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 17, 2004
                        Barley Hall in York England,
                        http://www.r3.org/barley_hall/contents.html
                      • Andrew Lowry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 20, 2004
                          I was in York England in May 1996. If you ever get over to England plan
                          a few days in York. One can get reasonable B&B near the medieval walls
                          (or in one case built into the wall). The place is amazing to just walk
                          around in. The downtown is still medieval as it never 'modernized'
                          during the English Industrial Revolution nor did it have a large city
                          wide fire (a common method of urban renewal until about 150 years ago).
                          So one can shop in 14 th century buildings drink ale in a pub where
                          General Wolfe was born and of course there is the Minster which is an
                          amazing church. The medieval wall still surrounds the city and the
                          gates bear their medieval names. Barley Hall looks interesting but I
                          only saw in the window as it was closed for the season. So there is
                          lots of period woodwork to see.

                          The only problem I had with York was that walking around the
                          cobblestone streets in modern clothes felt wrong. I wanted to in 14 th
                          century kit with the feel of my leather pouch on my hip.

                          The Royal Armoury at Leeds is under 100 km away so it makes a good side
                          trip for a day.

                          Richard