Re: [MedievalSawdust] Height of a bench?

  • Laura Iseman
    Message 1 of 24 , May 22, 2011
      One of my household made a couple of quite low bench stools for our camp. About 13" high. He found he had to make a bunch more since they were always occupied when he wanted to sit down 8-> We have found that a low bench, that lets you lean forward and rest your elbows on your knees, is very comfortable way to sit without a back rest. Not so good for sitting at a table, but for hanging around the fire, a short stool rocks. 8->

      Laura

      On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM, sean14powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      This question is hardly medieval but I figure we arn't teribly taller then the nobility of the day. For a basic take apart bench for around camp with vagely medieval styling, how high off the ground should the seat be? and don't just say 'it depends'. An average or aproximate value will be fine. I'm ballparking wood consumption for a pine prototype before I go on to something fancy in white-oak.

      Thanks!
      Sean

      --
      "The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves." -- Logan Pearsall Smith

    • powell.sean@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 24 , May 23, 2011

        The reason I love this group: Ask a simple question, get a fantastic list of answers (and some sarcastic humor as well)

        OK gang, In this case it's a general purpose stool that will likewise go in/near the shower for people to sit on while they get changed. As the wood is thin (essentailly deck planking) I'll be adding some under supports. I'll be making the legs long and cutting them down as necessary for most comfortable fit.

        Future projects will be to represent merchant/laborer class furniture that is useable but not gothic fancy. Thinks Duers Wedding Feast. I'm considering hand-hewing the planks myself. No documentation, just a learning project for some knock around camp furniture. I'll worry about "fancy high end to impress the A&S community" at a later date. This is simply function.

        Thanks all for the leg length advice.

        Sean

        One of my household made a couple of quite low bench stools for our camp. About 13" high. He found he had to make a bunch more since they were always occupied when he wanted to sit down 8-> We have found that a low bench, that lets you lean forward and rest your elbows on your knees, is very comfortable way to sit without a back rest. Not so good for sitting at a table, but for hanging around the fire, a short stool rocks. 8->

        Laura

      • AqA WyrdWynd
        Message 3 of 24 , May 23, 2011
          this is the bench not the table and is based on comfort level height of a modern ding chair

          Message 4 of 24 , May 23, 2011
            You can use really thin wood for the seat on the late-medieval boarded
            stools. The "apron" pieces provide all the support. These are also
            really sturdy and rigid, and they will hold up even under the severe
            moisture conditions you describe. Knockdown joinery is not recommended.

            For some examples, and to avoid making a common mistake, see:
            http://albionworks.com/Stools/STOOLS.htm

            Cheers,
            Tim

            On 5/23/2011 7:18 AM, powell.sean@... wrote:

            > The reason I love this group: Ask a simple question, get a fantastic
            > list of answers (and some sarcastic humor as well)
            >
            > OK gang, In this case it's a general purpose stool that will likewise go
            > in/near the shower for people to sit on while they get changed. As the
            > wood is thin (essentailly deck planking) I'll be adding some under
            > supports. I'll be making the legs long and cutting them down as
            > necessary for most comfortable fit.
            >
            > Future projects will be to represent merchant/laborer class furniture
            > that is useable but not gothic fancy. Thinks Duers Wedding Feast. I'm
            > considering hand-hewing the planks myself. No documentation, just a
            > learning project for some knock around camp furniture. I'll worry about
            > "fancy high end to impress the A&S community" at a later date. This is
            > simply function.
            >
            > Thanks all for the leg length advice.
            >
            > Sean

          • Gary Link
            Message 5 of 24 , May 23, 2011
              Hi All,

              Who all is going to Middle Crown this week end, I'll be judging in the A&S on Sat., we could have our own(as a group) critique if we want as well. But I would like to take time to talk shop if others are interested. We will be staying at the hotel on site, if I know others are in to it I'll bring my library as well.

              To contact me you can call my cell 312-560-9251

              In Service
              Hal

            • Jim Hart