Re: Height of a bench?

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 24 , May 21, 2011
      I've been making a nd selling benches that have a hight of 14" to 16" that have been popular for use at camping events. I use a 6' 2x12 for the seat and legs and a piece of 2x4 for the stretcher. After several years of testing, I've found that the seat should never be less that 2" thick. Less and the seat will bow un your weight and become very uncomfortable.

    • camdus17@juno.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 21, 2011
        Well, that's only true for a bench that is six feet long!  A shorter bench, one which the legs are closer together, flexes less and does not need such a thick seat.  I believe Sean's question was about a one-person bench; i.e. no wider than a chair.  He can get away with a thinner seat.  Also, he is planning on making it out of white oak, a much stronger wood than the pine, fir, spruce or cedar that I assume you are using for your six foot 2"x12" bench.

        Groupon™ Official Site
        Groupon.com
      • Geirfold
        Message 3 of 24 , May 21, 2011
          The bench is only 3' long. And I've checked this on benches fron 18" to 4'. Yes all have been pine/fir make. I don't know may people that can afford to make things that size out of oak. And even a 1x oak at more than two feet is going to bow unless you put a stretcher directly under the seat if it is more than 18". It will bow less, but still bow.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "camdus17@..." <camdus17@...> wrote:

          > Well, that's only true for a bench that is six feet long! A shorter bench, one which the legs are closer together, flexes less and does not need such a thick seat. I believe Sean's question was about a one-person bench; i.e. no wider than a chair. He can get away with a thinner seat. Also, he is planning on making it out of white oak, a much stronger wood than the pine, fir, spruce or cedar that I assume you are using for your six foot 2"x12" bench.
          > Groupon™ Official Site
          > 1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off your city's best!
          > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4dd7f54f6de466a82dst01vuc

        • David Pogue
          Message 4 of 24 , May 22, 2011
            "Fealin' a bit silly this morning" are ya? That's okay, you've done enough time on planet earth that you're allowed. :-)

            Malcolm

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: jrwinkler@...
            Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 09:39:06 -0500
            Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Height of a bench?

            Easy way to figure...

            1: Find a bench.
            2: Sit on it/
            3: If it's comfortable measure distance from ground to top of seat.

            or -

            1:  Measure the distance from the ground to the middle of the back of the knee...   that will give you a pretty good idea for a 'custom fit' bench.

            Unless, of course... it's a kneeling bench yer' building... in which case all bets are off...

            Fealin' a bit silly this morning -
            Chas.

          • Laura Iseman
            Message 5 of 24 , May 22, 2011
              One of my household made a couple of quite low bench stools for our camp. About 13" high. He found he had to make a bunch more since they were always occupied when he wanted to sit down 8-> We have found that a low bench, that lets you lean forward and rest your elbows on your knees, is very comfortable way to sit without a back rest. Not so good for sitting at a table, but for hanging around the fire, a short stool rocks. 8->

              Laura

              --
              "The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves." -- Logan Pearsall Smith

            • powell.sean@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 24 , May 23, 2011

                The reason I love this group: Ask a simple question, get a fantastic list of answers (and some sarcastic humor as well)

                OK gang, In this case it's a general purpose stool that will likewise go in/near the shower for people to sit on while they get changed. As the wood is thin (essentailly deck planking) I'll be adding some under supports. I'll be making the legs long and cutting them down as necessary for most comfortable fit.

                Future projects will be to represent merchant/laborer class furniture that is useable but not gothic fancy. Thinks Duers Wedding Feast. I'm considering hand-hewing the planks myself. No documentation, just a learning project for some knock around camp furniture. I'll worry about "fancy high end to impress the A&S community" at a later date. This is simply function.

                Thanks all for the leg length advice.

                Sean

                One of my household made a couple of quite low bench stools for our camp. About 13" high. He found he had to make a bunch more since they were always occupied when he wanted to sit down 8-> We have found that a low bench, that lets you lean forward and rest your elbows on your knees, is very comfortable way to sit without a back rest. Not so good for sitting at a table, but for hanging around the fire, a short stool rocks. 8->

                Laura

              • AqA WyrdWynd
                Message 7 of 24 , May 23, 2011
                  this is the bench not the table and is based on comfort level height of a modern ding chair

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 23, 2011
                    You can use really thin wood for the seat on the late-medieval boarded
                    stools. The "apron" pieces provide all the support. These are also
                    really sturdy and rigid, and they will hold up even under the severe
                    moisture conditions you describe. Knockdown joinery is not recommended.

                    For some examples, and to avoid making a common mistake, see:
                    http://albionworks.com/Stools/STOOLS.htm

                    Cheers,
                    Tim

                    On 5/23/2011 7:18 AM, powell.sean@... wrote:

                    > The reason I love this group: Ask a simple question, get a fantastic
                    > list of answers (and some sarcastic humor as well)
                    >
                    > OK gang, In this case it's a general purpose stool that will likewise go
                    > in/near the shower for people to sit on while they get changed. As the
                    > wood is thin (essentailly deck planking) I'll be adding some under
                    > supports. I'll be making the legs long and cutting them down as
                    > necessary for most comfortable fit.
                    >
                    > Future projects will be to represent merchant/laborer class furniture
                    > that is useable but not gothic fancy. Thinks Duers Wedding Feast. I'm
                    > considering hand-hewing the planks myself. No documentation, just a
                    > learning project for some knock around camp furniture. I'll worry about
                    > "fancy high end to impress the A&S community" at a later date. This is
                    > simply function.
                    >
                    > Thanks all for the leg length advice.
                    >
                    > Sean

                  • Gary Link
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 23, 2011
                      Hi All,

                      Who all is going to Middle Crown this week end, I'll be judging in the A&S on Sat., we could have our own(as a group) critique if we want as well. But I would like to take time to talk shop if others are interested. We will be staying at the hotel on site, if I know others are in to it I'll bring my library as well.

                      To contact me you can call my cell 312-560-9251

                      In Service
                      Hal

                    • Jim Hart