Re: [MedievalSawdust] sliding dovetail circa 1520-1540

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2011
      This one is across the bottom of an oval table top obviously to hold it flat, the cleats provide a pivot point.  I am sending you a copy Master Hal

      -Rhys

      On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Gary Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

      I have seen them used in two different types of furniture as far back as early 15th century, both used for the same basic reason.

      1 is on the bottom of trestle table tops to hold down flat and form cleats for placing the legs.
      2 is on the underside of trunk lids for the same basic reason, hold the top flat and it becomes the cross piece on the sloped ended trunk to make the hinge.

      I have not found any earlier examples yet but I'm alway looking for them.

      In Service
      Hal

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: LordRhys@...

      Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 19:33:45 -0500
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] sliding dovetail circa 1520-1540

      I have a picture of a French tilt table on a pedestal where the top is three boards on a sliding dove tail. Has anyone else seen that joint on something of that age?

      -Rhys