Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Glitz factor?

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2011
      > Don't know where you live, but around here the laurelite approach is
      > toward well
      > made everyday objects. We are much more interested in that cool spring
      > pole
      > lathe and the well stitched seam than ooogles of googas.
      >
      > For instance, we currently have two people on vigil to be elevated to the
      > order
      > of the Laurel later this month. One's main skills are making woodworking
      > tools(well) and then using them(also well). And the other is for Norse
      > lifestyle
      > stuff. She researched pigments used for dying sails, made sieves of hair,
      > and
      > other such things.

      When I got mine, right after I swore fealty, the Queen said, "I really
      like your tent stakes."

      So, yes, daily life objects can be appreciated too. Having the royal
      pavilion stay up on a stormy night helps.

      Ulfhedinn
    • i_odlin@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2011
        --- On Mon, 2/5/11, Jeffrey Johnson <jljonsn@...> wrote:
        > This would apply to most areas - sexay objects get attention [...]

        Indeed. This is why I don't usually bother entering competitions. The last time I did, I received a judging slip that literally consisted of two words: "Too plain."

        Maybe there were people who enjoyed my simple, made entirely with hand tools chest. If so, they remained silent.

        I haven't bothered entering a competition since.

        -Iain