RE: [MedievalSawdust] Judging bias (was Request to join medievalsawdust approved)

  • D. Young
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2011
      Folks

      I did not mean to point fingers....I was sort of mulling over the importance of the mundane  ...not that "gothic glam" isnt period or hard work....but that the mundane should never be overlooked as it was the basis for day to day life and the economy.

      Drew

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      CC: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: IAmBroom@...
      Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 14:04:17 -0400
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Judging bias (was Request to join medievalsawdust approved)

      Drew:
      > One of the problems I have noticed with the laurelite approach and with merchant juries is that they often do not account for every day objects but rather the wow-factor for swanky things.

      Your experience is far off of mine, although we are probably from
      different kingdoms. In the Middle, AEthelmearc, and East kingdoms,
      workaday items that are well-formed draw real attention from both
      judges and laurels. In fact, I can name two laurels made specifically
      for their "ordinary" craft focus: middle-class carpentry and casting,
      rather than high-end work.

      Again, Drew:
      > And while a barrel does not usually draw the crowds attention like a fine gothic chest, a barrel is such a fundamental part of the basic economy that such things should not be forgotten or overlooked.

      And there is an Eastern coopering laurel.

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two
      //|\\ men and a discharge for loving one." - Leonard Matlovich