Re: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Request to join medievalsawdust approved

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2011
      --- On Mon, 2/5/11, Jeffrey Johnson <jljonsn@...> wrote:
      This would apply to most areas - sexay objects get attention, even if historically inappropriate, wrong materials, wrong technique, and the item would never have existed in the time period portrayed.
      For judging, it depends on who's doing the judging.
      SNIPPAGE

      COMMENT
      Hmmm. as a Master Carpenter & Joiner in mundane life, who also plays in the SCA, I tend to agree.
      In our Kingdom, I don't enter A & S Competitions for 2 reasons
      a] a lack of competant judges for items made from wood. In the mundane world, I occasionally get commissions to make wooden items for museum displays.
       If I were going to set-aside workshop-production-time to create a "masterpiece" for an A. & S. Competition,  -
      a] before starting on it, I'd want the assurance that it would be judged by persons with a background in professional woodworking, who would understand exactly what levels of craft skill the making involved.
       and b] I feel it would be unfair for me to do so, setting my professional skills against those of amateur woodworkers.
      I don't feel I have anything to prove as a Craftsman in several discilplines.  I am already rated as a Master Craftsman by the only standard that matters to me - my mundane  Clients commission unique "one-off" jobs from me, and pay my invoices on completion & delivery.
      Instead, what I do is to exhibit in A.& S. displays, - certain items designed and made for use in  the "SCA-specific" camping environment, - to inspire folk to have-a-go themselves to improve their own period encampments.
      I exhibit simple items that can be easily made with a minimum of woodworking skills and a minimum of tools, if possible using "offcuts" from my "surplus-timber" bins; - and further, items that can be dismantled to fit into SCA-support-vehicles for transport, and for easy storage when the "owners" are back home.
      In this context, I have made lanterns, Banner stands, Banner staffs with swivelling top arms, scribal desks, shelf-units,  chairs, tables, benches, bed-frames convertible to either single or double sizes, "flat-packing" chests, coffers,  a "Pri-dieu", and even a " twin-tub" washing-up trough with a folding, waterproof, canvas insert.
       It is my hope that by doing this, I inspire some of our Populace to find the confidence to gradually upgrade their own "period encampments".

      In Service to the Dream,
       Matthewe Baker

    • D. Young
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2011
        good points Mathew!

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2011
          Don't know where you live, but around here the laurelite approach is toward well made everyday objects.  We are much more interested in that cool spring pole lathe and the well stitched seam than ooogles of googas.

          For instance, we currently have two people on vigil to be elevated to the order of the Laurel later this month.  One's main skills are making woodworking tools(well) and then using them(also well). And the other is for Norse lifestyle stuff.  She researched pigments used for dying sails, made sieves of hair, and other such things.

          Of course when you are running a demo the glitzy will get MUCH more attention than the simple, well made plain object.
          Ilaria

          As a thought for mulling over...

          One of the problems I have noticed with the laurelite approach and with merchant juries is that they often do not account for every day objects but rather the wow-factor for swanky things.

        • patsmith
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2011
            One of the artisans who will be demonstrating and teaching
            on Artisan's Row during the woodworking exhibit is a cooper
            with many years of experience both in the SCA and outside
            making barrels. Oddly enough, no furniture maker has
            committed definitely to being there, although a few have
            tentatively expressed interest.

            I don't understand the comments about judging - if they are
            refering to Artisan's Row at Pennsic, there is a basic
            misunderstanding of what goes on there. The point of
            artisan's row at Pennsic is to have a day-long exhibit and
            demonstration of a craft where various artisans can come and
            demo their art for the public, hopefully letting the
            populace see just how much fun the craft can be. It's a
            chance to get together with others who do the same art, swap
            techniques and stories, and show off. No one is expected to
            be there the whole day - stop by and play for as long as you
            have the time.

            Woodworking is scheduled for Wednesday of War week, so the
            only war-point activity it conflicts with is the Archery
            Champion's shoot.

            Brusten

            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2011
              > Don't know where you live, but around here the laurelite approach is
              > toward well
              > made everyday objects. We are much more interested in that cool spring
              > pole
              > lathe and the well stitched seam than ooogles of googas.
              >
              > For instance, we currently have two people on vigil to be elevated to the
              > order
              > of the Laurel later this month. One's main skills are making woodworking
              > tools(well) and then using them(also well). And the other is for Norse
              > lifestyle
              > stuff. She researched pigments used for dying sails, made sieves of hair,
              > and
              > other such things.

              When I got mine, right after I swore fealty, the Queen said, "I really
              like your tent stakes."

              So, yes, daily life objects can be appreciated too. Having the royal
              pavilion stay up on a stormy night helps.

              Ulfhedinn
            • i_odlin@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2011
                --- On Mon, 2/5/11, Jeffrey Johnson <jljonsn@...> wrote:
                > This would apply to most areas - sexay objects get attention [...]

                Indeed. This is why I don't usually bother entering competitions. The last time I did, I received a judging slip that literally consisted of two words: "Too plain."

                Maybe there were people who enjoyed my simple, made entirely with hand tools chest. If so, they remained silent.

                I haven't bothered entering a competition since.

                -Iain