Re: Period workmans garb

  • mahee of acre
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
      All that is requested is that you attempt period garb. A T-Tunic,
      pants, and belt. You can wear Wal*Mart mocisins for shows. If you
      want to look more like a laborer wear a leather aprin on top. The
      aprin being the only expensive part of the entire outfit.

      your servant,
      mahee

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
        And a hat. He needs a hat. Working uncovered is a dead give-away.

        Will

        <cunning@f...> wrote:
        > To the SAC events I went to I dressed in flight suit and flight
        helmet with
        > a mobility bag in hand.
        >
        > To an "SCA" event that would be up to the locals in CA
        >
        > James Cunningham
        >
        > > I would like to sell some of my stuff at SAC events. The
        questions I have
        > > are What would be an acceptable period workmans garb. I would
        like to
        > look
        > > as authentic as possible. Secondly where can I find dates for
        events?

        > > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
        > > Don Bowen donb@c...
        > > Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
          > And a hat. He needs a hat. Working uncovered is a
          > dead give-away.
          >
          > Will

          yea, ya gotta cover your head with a hat
          or a ( damn, how do you spell that ) couf

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
        • Don Bowen
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
            At 2/2/2004, you wrote:
            And a hat.  He needs a hat.  Working uncovered is a dead give-away.

            Any pictures around?

            Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking
            Don Bowen                      donb@...
            Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
              Mouse trap, pattens, but thats not a coif!!

              James Cunningham

              > yea, ya gotta cover your head with a hat
              > or a ( damn, how do you spell that ) couf
              >
              > =====
              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              > Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
              >
              > Aude Aliquid Dignum
              > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
                Don,

                >I would like to sell some of my stuff at SCA events. The questions I have
                >are What would be an acceptable period workmans garb. I would like to look
                >as authentic as possible.

                Here's my recommendation:
                http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=completeoutfit&c=11&action=choose

                You can get complete outfits that are well-made and reasonably
                priced. Otherwise you'll have to go through a pretty steep learning curve
                about medieval costume and sewing... Which can be fun, but maybe isn't
                exactly the experience you're looking for.

                The only real drawback to buying outfits from HE is they only do 14th and
                15th century. I'd go 15th c, that's when most of the furniture comes in
                anyway. (16th century is too late, and don't let Tom convince you
                otherwise! ;-)) But the 14th c outfits are cheaper, easier to wear, and
                cooler - go with the linen tunic outfit.

                > Secondly where can I find dates for events?

                http://www.sca-caid.org/

                You're in the Barony of Calafia:
                http://www.calafia.org/

                If you can just drop everything and go to Arizona for a day or two, you
                might think about going to the Estrella War this coming weekend.
                http://www.estrellawar.org/
                It's the single biggest event in the Western states, I think, and has a
                large merchant section, so you can get an idea of what other people are
                doing. You can also wander around and get an idea of the kinds of stuff
                people want for their camps.

                I won't be at Estrella this year, alas, too much going on here right now.

                How much travel do you want to do? March Crown up here in the West is a
                fairly big event and people seem to do a lot of shopping there. It's in
                Woodland, just off I-5, probably an 8-hour drive for you. The risk is
                weather - if it's rainy and muddy people lose that buying fever...

                Good luck, and let us know when you will be at an event!

                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
                http://www.albionworks.net
                http://www.albionworks.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 3, 2004
                  --- Don Bowen <donb@...> wrote:
                  > At 2/2/2004, you wrote:
                  > >And a hat. He needs a hat. Working uncovered is a
                  > dead give-away.
                  >
                  > Any pictures around?
                  >
                  > Awl Knotted Up - Custom woodworking
                  > Don Bowen donb@...
                  > Valley Center, CA
                  > http://www.braingarage.com

                  check out the home page for the sawdust list

                  =====
                  Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
                • Andrew Lowry
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                    Decide which time period you wish to be. A T-tunic and trews covers
                    some of the earlier portion of the SCA period. If you want the 14 th
                    century or later they are not going to do. There are many talented
                    people in the SCA who would be pleased to help you kit up for your time
                    period. One just need to ask around. The 14 th C boksten tunic makes
                    simple, authentic workman's clothes.

                    Try to put together the most authentic kit that you can afford (in
                    time, money and expertise) for your time period. IMHO the SCA has too
                    many minimal attempts at clothes. Once we accept sweat pants and baggy
                    tunics as an attempt at period clothes we end up accepting plastic
                    totes as chests and collapsable nylon chairs instead of wooden chests
                    and benches.

                    If you intend to sell higher end furniture (my definition stuff over
                    $100 a piece) your audience will be mostly the people who spend that
                    kind of money on their kit - clothes, armour, tentage, and furniture.
                    Dress the part for your customers.

                    A another good site for high Gothic clothes is

                    http://www.revivalclothing.com/

                    BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend wool hose instead of
                    linen (you can find wool at Historic Enterprises).

                    Regards,

                    Richard

                    On 2-Feb-04, at 11:24 AM, mahee of acre wrote:

                    > All that is requested is that you attempt period garb. A T-Tunic,
                    > pants, and belt. You can wear Wal*Mart mocisins for shows. If you
                    > want to look more like a laborer wear a leather aprin on top. The
                    > aprin being the only expensive part of the entire outfit.
                    >

                    > your servant,
                    > mahee
                    >
                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                    > <cunning@f...> wrote:
                    > > To the SAC events I went to I dressed in flight suit and flight
                    > helmet with
                    > > a mobility bag in hand.
                    > >
                    > > To an "SCA" event that would be up to the locals in CA
                    > >
                    > > James Cunningham
                    > >
                    > > > I would like to sell some of my stuff at SAC events.  The
                    > questions I have
                    > > > are What would be an acceptable period workmans garb.  I would
                    > like to
                    > > look
                    > > > as authentic as possible.  Secondly where can I find dates for
                    > events?
                    > > >
                    > > > Awl Knotted Up  - Custom woodworking
                    > > > Don Bowen                      donb@c...
                    > > > Valley Center, CA             http://www.braingarage.com
                    > > >

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > > >  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    > > >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Service.

                  • Tim Bray
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 14, 2004
                      Agreeing with everything Richard said (perhaps excepting his definition of
                      "high-end" furniture! ;-)), one thing struck me:

                      >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend wool hose instead of linen

                      Just out of curiosity - why? Is there evidence that linen was NOT used for
                      hose in the 14th c?

                      It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal climate that Don is
                      likely to experience.

                      Cheers,
                      Colin

                      Albion Works
                      Furniture and Accessories
                      For the Medievalist!
                      http://www.albionworks.net
                      http://www.albionworks.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004

                        > >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend
                        > wool hose instead of linen
                        >
                        > Just out of curiosity - why? Is there evidence that
                        > linen was NOT used for
                        > hose in the 14th c?
                        >
                        > It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal
                        > climate that Don is
                        > likely to experience.

                        I wear linen because I can't wear wool.

                        But I will agree wool looks better, wear it
                        if you can.

                        Druing warm weather I keep then rolled down to
                        my knees and hold them up with garters, so linen
                        is good then also. ( hot and humid around here in
                        the midwest. ) Somedays I might be willing to put
                        up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
                        having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
                        summer....

                        =====
                        Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                        Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                      • Dan Baker
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                          Definately not periiod, but, a Duke recomended ro me that I try Cotton
                          Bicycle pants in place of hose as they are comfortable and a reasonable
                          subsitute. I normally will not wear hose, but thought I might try it out.
                          He was telling me they stand up to heavy fighting so they ought to be fine
                          for fencing. As to how they would look for a period kit for a workman, I
                          have no idea, but it might be worth considering. They are available from
                          most sporting goods stores at a reasonable price.

                          --
                          In service to the dream,

                          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                          Privateer to the Midrealm

                          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                          (Take time to dance in the rain)

                          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                          >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
                          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Period workmans garb
                          >Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 05:14:37 -0800 (PST)
                          >

                          > > >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend
                          > > wool hose instead of linen
                          > >
                          > > Just out of curiosity - why? Is there evidence that
                          > > linen was NOT used for
                          > > hose in the 14th c?
                          > >
                          > > It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal
                          > > climate that Don is
                          > > likely to experience.
                          >

                          >I wear linen because I can't wear wool.
                          >
                          >But I will agree wool looks better, wear it
                          >if you can.
                          >
                          >Druing warm weather I keep then rolled down to
                          >my knees and hold them up with garters, so linen
                          >is good then also. ( hot and humid around here in
                          >the midwest. ) Somedays I might be willing to put
                          >up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
                          >having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
                          >summer....
                          >

                          >=====
                          >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                          >Seneschal, Barony of Fenix
                          >
                          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                        • Andrew Lowry
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                            Colin,

                            I am not aware of evidence that linen was not used for hose in the 14th
                            C. I do know that wool was used.

                            My comments are based upon my wearing of both linen and wool hose over
                            the past 8 years. I own both and wear braes and chauses (hose) at hot
                            events such as Pennsic and Lilies. I like wool as it fits and works so
                            much better than linen. I find on most days I can walk around with my
                            wool chause on and still be comfortable.

                            Wool has more stretch than linen so it can be fitted better to the
                            shape of the leg. Linen has to be more open in the lower part to get
                            over the foot so one has a baggy calf.

                            In really hot weather or when working hard one will may want to roll
                            down the chause to expose the thighs to allow cooling. BTW I consider
                            it bad matters to have the chause rolled down in formal events such as
                            court. Much as one would not attend a wedding with your dress shirt
                            sleeves rolled up in the 21 th century we do not see people with chause
                            rolled down in 14 th century courts.

                            I find that I can roll my wool chause down to below the knee and it
                            rolled with some care they are self supporting and do not require a
                            garter. Linen even with a garter and some care with rolling will often
                            fall down after a while leaving one with an embarrassing pile of linen
                            around the foot.

                            Lord Rhys made a comment about wearing bicycle pants instead of hose. I
                            think he may be confusing braes and chauses. the braes are the boxer
                            short like underwear worn in the 14 th century. The chauses cover the
                            actual leg and come up over the braes. I find braes very comfortable
                            and being of cotton or linen are cool or warm as the conditions
                            require.

                            i do wear modern sweat pants for my fighting braes and chauses. I
                            actually use women's walking pants or sweats, as they are lighter
                            material and better fit than men's sweats. I wear white braes and the
                            separate sweat pant legs, trimmed and sewn for the chause. This allows
                            me to make a set for under $10, have different colours on each leg.
                            Being sweat material they do well in athletics and I do not ruin a $40
                            pair of wool hose while fighting.

                            I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working before we
                            get told off by the moderator.

                            Richard Larmer

                            On 15-Feb-04, at 12:21 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

                            > Agreeing with everything Richard said (perhaps excepting his
                            > definition of
                            > "high-end" furniture!  ;-)), one thing struck me:
                            >
                            > >BTW if you do the 14 th century I would recommend wool hose instead
                            > of linen
                            >
                            > Just out of curiosity - why?  Is there evidence that linen was NOT
                            > used for
                            > hose in the 14th c?
                            >
                            > It sure would be a lot more comfortable in the SoCal climate that Don
                            > is
                            > likely to experience.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            > Colin
                            >

                            > Albion Works
                            > Furniture and Accessories
                            > For the Medievalist!
                            > http://www.albionworks.net
                            > http://www.albionworks.com
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > Service.

                          • Tim Bray
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                              Conal,

                              > Somedays I might be willing to put
                              >up with earthquakes to have the benefit of not
                              >having to grow gills to be able to breathe in the
                              >summer....

                              Hah! Earthquakes (well, big ones, anyway) are pretty rare, but you have
                              that miserable weather all the time! :-D

                              I'll take my chances with the quakes for a while longer, in exchange for
                              this marvelous weather. It's what we pay all those taxes for, anyway,
                              innit? ;-)

                              Cheers,
                              Colin

                              Albion Works
                              Furniture and Accessories
                              For the Medievalist!
                              http://www.albionworks.net
                              http://www.albionworks.com
                            • Tim Bray
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                                Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
                                hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where that
                                unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
                                better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.

                                I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have to pee
                                on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your advice is
                                well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
                                several... you may have saved me both time and money!

                                Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...

                                Colin

                                Albion Works
                                Furniture and Accessories
                                For the Medievalist!
                                http://www.albionworks.net
                                http://www.albionworks.com
                              • Andrew Lowry
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                                  Fortunately there are at least two merchants selling linen hose at
                                  Pennsic.

                                  I don't recall having the pleasure to meet you at Pennsic before (I
                                  have a terrible memory for remembering people and with so many people
                                  at Pennsic it is more difficult). If you are there this year I would
                                  like to meet you. Your comments on this list and the TC list are
                                  interesting

                                  Richard Larmer

                                  On 15-Feb-04, at 1:14 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

                                  > Andrew, thanks for all the good information!  I've only ever worn wool
                                  > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic, where
                                  > that
                                  > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard.  Now I feel a little
                                  > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
                                  >
                                  > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause.  (Some folks just have
                                  > to pee
                                  > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.)   But your
                                  > advice is
                                  > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
                                  > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
                                  >
                                  > Thanks again.  Now back to the woodwrecking...
                                  >
                                  > Colin
                                  >

                                  > Albion Works
                                  > Furniture and Accessories
                                  > For the Medievalist!
                                  > http://www.albionworks.net
                                  > http://www.albionworks.com

                                • Dan Baker
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                                    Interesting comments.

                                    There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups for the
                                    feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my legs so I
                                    never found anything really comfortable

                                    --

                                  • James Winkler
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004

                                      >> I hope that helps. Perhaps we should get back to wood working
                                      before we get told off by the moderator.  Richard Larmer <<

                                      ;-D   Hummm...  moderator is my apprentice... interesting topic... "Wouldn't you agree apprentice???"  ;-D

                                      Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all.   Like Richard, I also wear wool hosen.  M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so...  wool wicks the water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good stuff.

                                      I do have to admit that when I got back from this weekends event and started reading the list I thought I stumbled onto the "Age of the Cotehardie" list that m'Lady reads... but hey... nothing like working on a 14th c. woodworking project using 14th. c. tools in 14th c. garb...

                                      Lovin' it...
                                      Chas.
                                    • matchstc
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 15, 2004
                                        Hi Folks

                                        I've been lurking here and gotten a lot of good info.

                                        On the garb topic, it is relevant what you wear. Your garb cna
                                        change the way you react, hold a tool or how long you work!

                                        I ran a papermaking mill at War last year, powered by a four foot
                                        Great Wheel. I had a lot of help from kids but none of them were as
                                        comfortable as I was in tights and a chemise.

                                        I'll be the first to admit my tights are period (yet) being cotton
                                        with a bit of lycra but they do well for midwest June weather.

                                        seeya
                                        mighel

                                        - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                                        <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:

                                        > Actually, for that aspect of what we do a good discussion of period
                                        garb truly is a fascinating aspect of it all. Like Richard, I also
                                        wear wool hosen. M'Lady started with the linen hosen on the belief
                                        they might be cooler... but I find it isn't so... wool wicks the
                                        water away nicely... I've even done some forge work with wool... good
                                        stuff.

                                      • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:
                                          > Andrew, thanks for all the good information! I've only ever worn wool
                                          > hose, but have often wished for linen... especially at Pennsic,
                                          where that
                                          > unaccustomed humidity really hits Westies hard. Now I feel a little
                                          > better, knowing that maybe it wouldn't have been so nice after all.
                                          >
                                          > I'll probably try a pair anyway, just 'cause. (Some folks just have
                                          to pee
                                          > on the electric fence for themselves, as Magnus says.) But your
                                          advice is
                                          > well taken, so I'll probably only try one pair, instead of making
                                          > several... you may have saved me both time and money!
                                          >
                                          > Thanks again. Now back to the woodwrecking...
                                          >
                                          > Colin

                                          Colin
                                          My Lady recomends that you have garters to hold them up.
                                          The wool will stretch and hold tite to form.But the linen will need to
                                          be gartered. "so they don't fall down". This has been a big thread on
                                          Authentic_SCA list.

                                          Alessandro
                                        • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Interesting comments.
                                            >
                                            > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                                            for the
                                            > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                                            legs so I
                                            > never found anything really comfortable
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > In service to the dream,
                                            >
                                            > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                            > Privateer to the Midrealm

                                            bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                                            I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                                            Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                                            Alessandro dEste
                                          • Joseph Hayes
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                                              Hi all,

                                              I'm looking for a repeating acanthus pattern for a 1.5" belt. I was
                                              wondering if anyone has seen a woodcarving pattern that I can adapt.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Ulrich

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                                                Ulrich
                                                check out this site it mite help.
                                                http://www.carvingpatterns.com/thumbs/panels-thumb.html
                                                Alessandro
                                              • Dan Baker
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 17, 2004
                                                  I was told Dunham Sports,

                                                  --
                                                  In service to the dream,

                                                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                                  Privateer to the Midrealm

                                                  Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                                                  (Take time to dance in the rain)

                                                  Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                                                  >From: "Lord Alessandro dEste" <avalonbear@...>
                                                  >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Wool Chausses was Period workmans garb
                                                  >Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:50:04 -0000
                                                  >
                                                  >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...>
                                                  >wrote:
                                                  > > Interesting comments.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > There are bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                                                  >for the
                                                  > > feet. Generally speaking though I don't like tight things on my
                                                  >legs so I
                                                  > > never found anything really comfortable
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --
                                                  > > In service to the dream,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                                  > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                                                  >
                                                  >bicycle pants that cover the entire leg and have stirups
                                                  >I need a new pair where in Midrealm are you finding them.
                                                  >Mlady has looked all over Sternfeld and not found any.
                                                  >Alessandro dEste

                                                  Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!