Re: [MedievalSawdust] Advice on table saw

  • Isabelle LaFar
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
      I've never used the guard on my table saw. It gets in the way. ;)
      I do, however, wear a face shield rather than plain old safety glasses. Wood chips and sawdust do not aim for the eyes only, and sting when they hit your face. Also, the face shield does not tend to fog up like safety glasses do.
      Don't touch a moving blade, use a push stick, and make sure your work is balanced.

      --Isabelle
    • Julian Wilson
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
        Kevlar-armoured working gloves are also a good idea. I have forgotten who sells them - but I know some Merchants DO list them in their catalogues.

         Julian Wilson.

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011

               And on this we will need to agree to disagree.

               Rotating cutting tools can cut but they can also grab. If it grabs it will pull you deeper and cut more. If it gets bad it will grab, pull, cut, and mangle. The best defense mechanism is seperating the limb from the tool. I do not want to have to break kevar strands while doing so. I have cut myself ONCE on my table-saw. A scrape 1/8" wide, 1/16" deep and less then a 1/4" long in my thumb because I was not using proper safety precautions of a push stick but following the golden rule about blade exposure. I made my second saving throw by turning the blade off, bandaging and THEN completing the cut with a push-stick.

               Now I do wear tight, thin leather gloves when working with my buffer and grinder. I scrape my knuckles frequently and end up grabbing hot metal more often then I would like but I've removed the guards from my grinder as well and the buffer is completely exposed. If something catches there is nothing to get pinched against and pulled into.

               I'll wear kevlar gloves for carving or chiseling but not for power-tools. If you decide to wear them that's your choice.

          Sean

          Kevlar-armoured working gloves are also a good idea. I have forgotten who sells them - but I know some Merchants DO list them in their catalogues.

           Julian Wilson.

          I've never used the guard on my table saw. It gets in the way. ;)

          I do, however, wear a face shield rather than plain old safety glasses. Wood chips and sawdust do not aim for the eyes only, and sting when they hit your face. Also, the face shield does not tend to fog up like safety glasses do.
          Don't touch a moving blade, use a push stick, and make sure your work is balanced.

          --Isabelle

        • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011

            If you’ve never worked with a table saw…  Like all other power tools, take it SLOW, PRACTICE, use the GUARDS whenever possible (I often take mine on and off, I know it’s a pain sometimes, but it’s worth the hassle), PUSHSTICKS, PROTECT the eyes and ears (if noise is high) (face-shields are nice to have), keep your work area CLEAN both floor and table (tripping or sliding on a small stray piece of wood with the saw turning can be scary at the least).  Keep your mind on what you are doing, and if in doubt STOP!!!  Don’t wear loose clothing, and keep hair tied back (if you have long hair of course…) Work in well lit areas (use extra light if need-be).

            Bobby

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
              > home, blown it out with air from the compressor, and hit the adjusting
              > screws with wd-40.

              Despite appearances and common beliefs, WD-40 is not a lubricant - it
              is a Water Dispersant. It evaporates slowly, and accumulates dust
              particles while wet, so that eventually it leaves the area more gritty
              than it was before you used it!

              This is easily fixed, however. Get a can of penetrating oil (or
              ordinary general-purpose oil), and drop a drop on each spot you hit
              with the WD-40. The oil will mix in, and continue lubricating after
              the WD-40 is gone in a few weeks or months.

              > least the blade guard.  It also didn't have the manual, but that's only
              > $9.99 from Sears.

              Or free for download here:
              www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/123545/

              > I guess my question is, would it be recommended for me to shop Sears for the
              > parts I need, namely the guard and fence, or is there a better source for

              The fence is fairly generic; you can certainly get one that fits this
              model from other companies. The guard is more likely a Sears-only
              product, but you never know. Nothing wrong with getting either of
              these from 3rd-party vendors; they won't affect precision of your work
              at all. Check ebay first, but go armed with the knowledge of what
              Sears wants for the new, brand-name parts.

              ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
              ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
              ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
              ' | "Discere et docere", which means:
              '\|/ "C S Lewis' original working title was, 'The Lion, the Witch and
              '/|\ my Sister's Underwear Drawer'."
              //|\\ - props to farleftside, gocomics.com/Lio
            • Julian Wilson
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                Sean,
                Oh - I don't use the kevlar-armoured gloves when running my tablesaw - I have a friend who makes maille.
                 I got  him to make me a pair of maille gloves on leather bases for the tablesaw and spindle-moulder work, and I use all the varieties of pushstick & push-pad, as well..  But a friend who'll make you maille gloves is not going to be available to most pro-woodwork-shop  users.
                I use the kevlar-armoured gloves I got as a gift  for the rest of my edged-tooling shop work; - these replace the cowhide work gloves I used to use, but which wore out too fast on all the pressure/abrasion points. The kevlar-amroured gloves are showing wear, but are nowhere-near wearing out yet; Over the period I've been using them, I would have [based on previous experience - 8 or 9 pairs of the cowhide glives - and at nearly GB£9 per pair for the cowhide, that's quite a saving on the capital outlay for " consumable safety equipment"

                rgeards,
                 Julian

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Julian Wilson <lhjw66576@...> wrote:

                    > Kevlar-armoured working gloves are also a good idea. I have forgotten who sells them - but I know some Merchants DO list them in their catalogues.

                    Sorry, that's not just bad advise, that is DANGEROUS advise.

                    You can get your hand cut with no glove, you can LOSE your hand with a glove (I've seen it, trust me you don't want to)

                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • Ralph
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Royce" <rcetlin@...> wrote:

                      > I guess my question is, would it be recommended for me to shop Sears for the
                      > parts I need, namely the guard and fence, or is there a better source for
                      > the parts elsewhere? Also, aside from don't stick your fingers in the
                      > running blade, what other advice would there be for a starting table saw
                      > worker.

                      No you want to buy GOOD accessories. There are some great firms that build rip fences, guards, etc that will fit your saw. Check the sizes and shop your favorite (probably mail-order) source.

                      Getting a new SHARP blade (or blades) is also good advise.

                      Live in FEAR of your table-saw. I do, I have a dent in the shop door, 20+ feet from the table-saw where it tossed a 1/2.

                      I also live in FEAR of my band-saw, my lathe (a lathe just killed someone this month), my drill-press, my chain-saws, my..... I just realized I FEAR most of my shop.

                      Of course the only wood-working scars I have are from hand-tools. Maybe I should fear them too.

                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • Julian Wilson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                        Someone had better tell the  Government's "Health & Safety Executive" that, then. Amongst their H & S recommendations for safety in Joinery Shops is the " strongly-recommended use" of work gloves for safety purposes.
                        Different countries, - different rules about safety-at-work.
                         For example, over here it is actually against the Law to remove the riving knife and top guard from a table-saw, [ except when it's disconnected from a power supply, for maintainace purposes or blade changes.]
                         If that's done in a commercial environment and there's an table-saw accident, the HSE Inspectorate will prefer Criminal Charges against everyone from the Site-Workshop Manager down to the victim's colleagues. And if the accident happens in a DIY environment, it's likely the victims Insurance Co. will declare any accident insurance "void".
                        And on a personal note, using workgloves of various types on-site, in the boatyard, and in my pro. Joinery Shop has worked well for me for over 40 years.

                        Julian Wilson

                        > Kevlar-armoured working gloves are also a good idea. I have forgotten who sells them - but I know some Merchants DO list them in their catalogues.

                        Sorry, that's not just bad advise, that is DANGEROUS advise.

                        You can get your hand cut with no glove, you can LOSE your hand with a glove (I've seen it, trust me you don't want to)

                        Ralg
                        AnTir

                      • Bob the Builder
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                          So... the glove advice made me squick too, but it is because of how I use my tools.  IF you follow all of the safety procedures, have all of the safety equipment and know how to use it, gloves are a good idea.

                          If, on the other hand, you use tools in the home shop the way many of us do, making one tool do the jobs of many tools which it wasn't designed for (otherwise you wouldn't have to remove to top guard to do something) then gloves are something that snag on moving parts and draw the hand and body into harms way.

                          And, BTW, you should not wear jewelry (even your wedding ring) when working with power tools.

                          Pax,
                          Ysfael
                          > Kevlar-armoured working gloves are also a good idea. I have forgotten who sells them - but I know some Merchants DO list them in their catalogues.

                            Sorry, that's not just bad advise, that is DANGEROUS advise.

                            You can get your hand cut with no glove, you can LOSE your hand with a glove (I've seen it, trust me you don't want to)

                          Ralg
                          AnTir

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011

                            Julian

                            Out of this string of mails but…

                            If it’s illegal to remove the riving knife or top guard, how do you cut dados, or remove ½ the thickness, cut a tenon for a mortise and tenon, so on and so forth…

                            Bobby

                          • powell.sean@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011

                              While I agree that certain cuts are impossible with certain guards in place, it does not surprise me that different nations have different requirements and regulations as the US has only recently updated our regulations. Here is a good document from OSHA's site:

                              http://www.osha.gov/Publications/woodworking_hazards/osha3157.html

                              Gloves are still listed as PPE for table saws (just below figure 3) but are expressly prohibited regarding lathes (below figure 19)

                              Furthermore it states:

                              Heavy leather, metal mesh, or gloves may provide protection against cuts, abrasions, and lacerations, but they can also greatly reduce dexterity, possibly leading to a higher frequency of the mishaps they are intended to protect against. Furthermore, no glove will stand up to direct contact with the cutting surfaces of most of your power equipment. For these reasons, engineering and work-practice controls will be your best bet for addressing the hand and arm hazards posed by cutting and shaping equipment.

                              As with gloves, protective clothing for workers operating powered cutting, shaping, and boring equipment should not pose a greater risk than the one being addressed. Avoid loose clothing that could snag in moving parts and pull a worker into harm. Also avoid excessive clothing that could result in reduced mobility or heat exhaustion. Use common sense in your decisionmaking.

                              In general I take the 'Follow Norm' approach. Norm Abrahms still has all of his fingers and eyes despite how many thousands of hours on job sites and his wood-shop. He advocates Eyes and Brains. I try to follow what he does and what he says.

                              Sean

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 25, 2011
                                made long answer, offlist.
                                 Julian

                                If it’s illegal to remove the riving knife or top guard, how do you cut dados, or remove ½ the thickness, cut a tenon for a mortise and tenon, so on and so forth…

                                Bobby

                                > Kevlar-armoured working gloves are also a good idea. I have forgotten who sells them - but I know some Merchants DO list them in their catalogues.

                                Sorry, that's not just bad advise, that is DANGEROUS advise.

                                You can get your hand cut with no glove, you can LOSE your hand with a glove (I've seen it, trust me you don't want to)

                                Ralg
                                AnTir

                              • Karl Christoffers
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 26, 2011
                                  Um, I was really looking forward to reading that answer, Julian. If you could post it to me, too, I would be very grateful.

                                  -Karl

                                  interestingclutter@ yahoo.com

                                  --- On Mon, 4/25/11, Julian Wilson <lhjw66576@...> wrote:

                                  Bobby

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 26, 2011
                                    I just picked up a craftsman 10" 2.5 developed hp (137.248760 model) 5000
                                    > rpm no-load speed table saw for $40 last weekend.

                                    Since its a craftsman, you're going to be stuck going to Sears for a number of the parts. A standard mitre won't fit the slot. I'd really recommend looking around for a quality universal fence. It will pay for itself. Shop Fox makes a good one that I used when I had a Craftsman.

                                    Have fun with it.

                                    Kirk
                                  • jay sabath
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 27, 2011
                                      Just a bit of advise.  Get the saw tuned up.  Here is a good start.

                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRSarTJLMU

                                      --
                                      Lord Johannes Machiavelli
                                      Canton of Rokkehealden