Re: Scavenged wood

  • original_invariance
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2011
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "camdus17@..." <camdus17@...> wrote:

      > Kelly,
      > A good (but hit-or-miss) source of exotic hardwoods are shipping pallets. Many of them are made in Africa from woods (Teak, Afromosia, etc.) that you can pay top dollar for in a lumber yard. Many freight carriers offer up their damaged pallets for free.
      > There are also salvage companies that tear down old buildings and salvage old building materials for resale. Frequently they have a "free pile" of pieces that are too small for them to bother with. I made an ebony and white oak chessboard out of bits I scrounged from one of these piles.
      > Anyone else have suggestions?
      > --Dunstan

      > Get Free Email with Video Mail & Video Chat!
      > http://www.juno.com/freeemail?refcd=JUTAGOUT1FREM0210

      Just a note on pallets, get yourself a small metal detector ($25.00-ish at Lee Valley). Sometimes the nails may fracture when you're taking the pallet apart and when you plane them they make a mess of your planer blades, even more dangerous if you're using a power planer.

      ~Rae
    • John LaTorre
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 20, 2011
        Duncan Sinclair wrote:

        > You are better off to get in the practice of using denatured alchol rather than
        > oil. The alchol will evaporate quickly and not permenetly affect the wood in
        > question.

        Most of the professional hardwood buyers and sellers I've met use
        naphtha (readily available as lighter fluid in just about any drug store
        or supermarket). It also evaporates completely, but not as quickly as
        alcohol.

        --Johann von Drachenfels
        West Kingdom