Re: [MedievalSawdust] trestle_table plans

  • Laura Iseman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2011
      I am this weekend making tables similar to this, only I am using solid timber. I made one for a friend a while ago which you can see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/36906401@N00/4824956549/ The ones I am making this week don't have the decorative cut out, and they are rather a lot longer but work to the same principle. The tops are 3 planks glued edge to edge, with cross braces so they slip less.

      Working with real wood isn't much harder than ply and it looks so much better. I think 8->

      Miriam

      On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Sean Powell <powell.sean@...> wrote:

      Hmmm... I can't say I'm terribly impressed with that plan. Even if the 2
      tops of the table come apart and are kept together when assembled by the
      legs you still need to transport these 6"x18" "L" shapes 4' long. Given
      my packing constraints they are either going to get broken off or
      interfere with other things. Considering you have to edge it in nicer
      wood a few 1x10' planks with dowel holes will peg together nicely,
      especially if you only glue the pegs in one half.

      Also, why make long spans out of 3/4" plywood when 1x6 will do? Save
      yourself the cutting trouble and just buy planks. If you use 5/4" for
      the table top you probably don't need the underside brace either. We
      don't with ours.

      That particular leg design lends itself well to plywood but can also be
      done with 3 planks to make an "I" shape. It's a little more time
      consuming but if you have a band-saw you can pre-cut the pieces rather
      then needing a jig-saw for this particular design. Also, they speced the
      legs as 25" wide just to use extra plywood. You could reduce them to 24
      and nest them much better, or possibly flip one over so the short and
      long ends coincide and it will fit better.

      Ya know, you can get 6 top pieces 4'x16" out of 1 sheet of plywood and 6
      legs 24" wide and 29" tall (leaves 9" left over) and use three 8' 1x6's
      for cross braces and make 3 tables for only a little more then their
      plan calls for 2.

      Best of luck!
      Sean

      --
      "The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves." -- Logan Pearsall Smith

    • Duncan Sinclair
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2011
        Great find! Will have to make one or two for myself

        Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
        Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
        and
        The Barony of Sternfeld