SCA 'period' beginners woodturning projects?

  • Jim Hart
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2011
      Got my lathe tools and the faceplate today.

      Looking for some suggestions for beginners projects to try that are period
      but still in the beginning turner realm of possibility.....

      The spur centers are back ordered....

      --
      Jim Hart
        Conal OhAirt

    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2011

        For faceplate work, how about a set of platters?  Bonus points if the sizes match.

        Charles Joiner

        Still lurking in Caid

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2011
          bowls and mugs were my first attempts on a lathe...

          Bear

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2011
            I made lace bobbins on my first wood lathe.
            Ilaria

            bowls and mugs were my first attempts on a lathe...

            Bear
          • Ralph
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2011
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hart <conalohairt@...> wrote:

              > Got my lathe tools and the faceplate today.
              >
              > Looking for some suggestions for beginners projects to try that are period
              > but still in the beginning turner realm of possibility.....
              >
              > The spur centers are back ordered....

              What tools do you have?

              My opinion, start with spindles. Spindle work is the easiest place to start. My wife is really just starting and has made some all-wood awls and some nostepinne (knitting and spinning thing)

              Face-plate work can require tools that you don't always get in "starter" sets.
              (CAPS on purpose)
              THE FULL NAME OF THE ROUGHING GOUGE IS SPINDLE ROUGHING GOUGE. It should not be used for face-plate work, and neither should a Skew. I have seen people with many years of experience use both, but most of us don't have that knowledge.

              If you haven't seen "Woodturning A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley, get it, it's the -best- book out there

              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Ron
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2011
                As I said in an earlier post, if you have both a dead and live center already, you can easily drive spindles, and its much safer than using s spur drive - watch this video to see what I mean:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCNdS4-GeE

                How big a faceplate? Here's another video showing someone turning a goblet. He's using a chuck to hold the block from the end but you could do the same with a faceplate as long as you waste enough wood at that end to clear your screws.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNNbS4wC6w

                Note how he mostly turns downhill on the outside, but hollows our from the center to the rim - this keeps the wood you cut supported by the fibers behind it.

                Bayard