Dust collection

  • Duncan Sinclair
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011
      What is everyone using for dust collection in their shops? I am looking at the Rockler Dust Right Vortex (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30068). Anyone have any experience or thoughts? I am in a basement shop and may be moving soon so I don't want to plumb for a permanent installation.

      Thanks,

      Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
      Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
      and
      The Barony of Sternfeld
      Middle Kingdom

      Greenwood #514, F&AM
    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011
        > What is everyone using for dust collection in their shops? I am looking at
        > the Rockler Dust Right Vortex
        > (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30068). Anyone have any
        > experience or thoughts? I am in a basement shop and may be moving soon so
        > I don't want to plumb for a permanent installation.

        I use a broom and a dustpan. But then I'm using mostly hand tools, and
        very little power sanding or routing. So even my power tools make chips
        more than dust.

        Ulfhedinn
      • Adam Pierce
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011
          I just purchased the Dust Right Vortex and am quite pleased.  Currently, it is attached to my Performax 16-32 drum sander and I have run a lot of sanding with 60-220 grit.  Filter is clean and no dust coming out of shop vac vent with the Vortex in between tool and shop vac.

          Some reviews noted it was easy to tip over, so I added a couple inches of water to the bottom of the Vortex and the shop vac (it is a wet-dry vac) to add some mass and help capture the dust coming through.

          The vortex, does as the name implies with the fittings on the lid setup in such a way that the airflow circulates at least once around the Vortex unit before leaving to the shop vac.  The dust either falls immediately or gets slowed down rubbing against the inside surface of the 10 gallon vortex bucket.

          That said, I only have about 12 hours total time with the Vortex, so it would be interesting to know what longer term owners think..

          Seems some likely upgrades would be a longer hose from the vortex to the tool (3 foot hose is a little short for some tools), or maybe some pvc lines permantently installed to the frequently used tools.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Duncan Sinclair <duncansinclair@...> wrote:

            > What is everyone using for dust collection in their shops? I am looking at the Rockler Dust Right Vortex (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30068). Anyone have any experience or thoughts? I am in a basement shop and may be moving soon so I don't want to plumb for a permanent installation.

            I'm serious about dust control. I work with exotics, cedars, and other woods that generate strong reactions. I am a firm believer in the thought "There are two types of woodworkers, those that are sensitive to wood dust, and those that will be"

            I have a ShopFox HEPA (0.1 micron) designed for shop use. It has three speeds and can be set to turn off with a three hour delay.

            I also have a Delta whole-shop (5 micron) air filter that hangs from the ceiling (it includes a light). This hangs right above my main work area.

            I also have a small Delta DC (no longer made). It has a 10 micron bag and a 55 gallon drum.

            Lastly I have a powered full-face mask (Trend).

            My theory is, if I can smell the wood, it has the potential to do me harm.

            I realize that not everyone is as crazed as me, but I also figure that the above list is cheaper then a lung transplant.

            Ralg
            An Tir
          • jay sabath
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011
              Saw that while looking around.  I also saw this.

              http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

               --
              Lord Johannes Machiavelli
              Canton of Rokkehealden

              On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Duncan Sinclair <duncansinclair@...> wrote:

              What is everyone using for dust collection in their shops? I am looking at the Rockler Dust Right Vortex (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30068). Anyone have any experience or thoughts? I am in a basement shop and may be moving soon so I don't want to plumb for a permanent installation.

              Thanks,

              Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
              Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
              and
              The Barony of Sternfeld
              Middle Kingdom

              Greenwood #514, F&AM

            • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011

                Greetings…

                I use a Nordique 1.5hp dust collector combined with a Nordique Air cleaner…

                The Dust Right Vortex should work just fine, if your Shop Vac is fairly strong.

                Send me a personal email and I will send you a chapter of an ebook I have on dust collection.

                Seigneur Robert du Bourg

                Châtelain du Havre des Glaces

                Député Sénéchal du Havre des Glaces

                Membre de l’Ordre du Lys d’Argent

                Homme d’Arme de Lord Marek O’Brien

                bobby.bourgoin@...

                Bobby Bourgoin

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011

                  The only thing is with longer hoses you loose a lot of suction power…

                  Especially if it has a lot of bends in it or a lot of ripples (most flex hoses have ripples or ridges)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Hello,

                    Normally I wouldn't share this as it's technicly a commercial but I
                    found it inspiring and I bet no one here has built a wooden instrument
                    quite this complex and this simple all at the same time.

                    http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/mesmerizing-touch-wood-sh-08c-ad-showcases-japans-beauty-manki/

                    Enjoy
                    Sean
                  • Brian Wagner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
                      I use a Grizzly 2 hp cannister filter dust collector.  The plan was to plumb in rigid ductwork, but I'm still running it with flex hose...  Very happy with the unit.  Also running their remote controlled hanging air filter unit - it rattles on high (something is loose, I need to investigate someday... can you tell I procrastinate a bit?).

                      Hrothgar Fiscabana
                      Barony of Small Gray Bear
                      Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

                    • Bobby Bourgoin (Robert du Bourg)
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011

                        I use a “Nordique” 1.5hp (the biggest I can run on 120volt) dust collector and a “Nordique” hanging air filter.  My shop is only big enough to set up one tool at a time (all my power tools are on mobile bases and lined up along the longest wall of my shop, when I want to use a tool, I pull it to the middle of my shop, plug in the power and the dust collector, do my cut(s), and then return the tool to it’s place along the wall) (and I can’t cut a 4x8 sheet length wise on my table saw, I have to set it up on saw horses and use a circular saw and straight edge)

                        Oh, and I also use a remote control unit to control my dust collector, so I don’t have to run it constantly, or get ready to cut and realize it’s not running…

                        The remote hangs from my belt so it’s always handy…

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2011
                          I've made one of those as a prefilter for my Delta 50-760. Course I also
                          put one of the better pleated filters on top of the Delta instead of the
                          bag. I really like the thien separator, helps keep the bag on the Delta
                          empty.

                          YIS
                          Phillipos the Skeptic