Re: Attention all turners: I has a new toy!

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2011
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hart <conalohairt@...> wrote:

      > little delta..... ? this guy is pretty heavy.... at least 200lbs of cast
      > iron ( we have moved a couple times.... it is no fun to move this )
      >
      > How little did you think it was? Or how big does it take for you to call it
      > big? ( chuckle )
      >
      > I am going to rig up a tool rest off the other end of the head stock and I
      > should be able to turn large bowls there
      > ( within reason of course )

      I'd call it little also. A big lathe weighs over a 1,0000 lbs (my big one only weighs about 500) and can turn a bowl 20 to 24 inches across (mine can only do 15, between centers, 24 off-axis)
      That one looks like it can "only" do about 8

      Before you think about anything really big, look at the speed. When I am doing something large, I start out at 250 rpm.

      There is a simple formula for turning speed. Multiply the diameter of the object by the RPM (like 8 inches by 1000 RPM), this number should never exceed something like 7000 to 9000. Slower for roughing to round, which is why I start a large bowl at 250.

      If you want to get serious about turning, I echo the "beware" and "join the AAW". I recently got my wife out to turn one thing... well, she just ordered her own turning jacket and has her own set of tools. She is also the new treasurer for the local wood-turning club (having just stepped down as Kingdom A&S officer)

      Ralg
      AnTir