Attention all turners: I has a new toy!

  • Jim Hart
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2011

      and I have almost everything I need to play with it now....   lol

      Advice on a center for the headstock? ( is that the correct term? )
      Starter set of tools?

       Inexpensive is probably better for now. But not cheap ( i.e. shoddy )

      --
      Jim Hart
        Conal OhAirt

    • avalonbear
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2011
        I'm not sure if there is a Harbour freight near you. But they have some nice starter tools. Of course you will need to sharpen them but They work really well for beginner turners and even pro's.
        I have a set that I have been using on my small $99 Grizzly lathe.
        Have fun turning.
        Lorn Alessandro DeEste
        Sternfeld

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hart <conalohairt@...> wrote:

        > http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/CIMG0480.jpg
        >
        > http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/CIMG0482.jpg
        >
        > http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/CIMG0481.jpg
        >

        > and I have almost everything I need to play with it now.... lol
        >
        > Advice on a center for the headstock? ( is that the correct term? )
        > Starter set of tools?
        >
        > Inexpensive is probably better for now. But not cheap ( i.e. shoddy )
        >
        > --
        > Jim Hart
        > Conal OhAirt
        >
        > Aude Aliquid Digmun - *dare something worthy*

      • Ralph
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 27, 2011
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hart <conalohairt@...> wrote:

          > and I have almost everything I need to play with it now.... lol
          >
          > Advice on a center for the headstock? ( is that the correct term? )
          > Starter set of tools?
          >
          > Inexpensive is probably better for now. But not cheap ( i.e. shoddy )

          The "good" tools HighSpeedSteel set from Harbor Freight is probably a good one, as would a set of Benjamen's Best (Penn State or a number of other sources), or a couple of other sources for the imported (Chinese) HSS (M2) tools.

          You will need to determine if the taper's are MT#1 or MT#2, I'm guessing #1. If there is no fixed (dead) center in the tail-stock, get a good live center and a four prong drive center and you will be closer to ready to go.

          The head-stock is also threaded, so you will need to learn what that is to see if you can find a face-plate to fit (guess, 3/4inch by 10 or 3/4 by 16)

          Good luck, it's so fun they call it the Vortex for a reason

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • Broom
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
            Lorn Alessandro DeEste:
            > I'm not sure if there is a Harbour freight near you. But they have some nice starter tools. Of course you will need to sharpen them but They work really well for beginner turners and even pro's.

            FYI: Harbor Freight also honors a lifetime warranty on all their hand tools.

            ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
            ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
            ' | 9370 Shadduck Rd, McKean, PA 16426
            ' | "Discere et docere", which means:
            '\|/ "With just a little care we guarantee that your fine Red
            '/|\ Shirt(TM) will last you for the rest of your life."
            //|\\ - "Instruction Manuals for the USS Enterprise", Luke McKinney
          • Ron
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
              I see a live center lying under the bed. If its bearings turn freely, you want that to go in the tailstock. It looks like you might have a dead center stuck in the tailstock. If so, keep that! I assume you mostly plan to turn spindles (the little Delta's can't swing a very large bowl).

              I use a dead center to drive almost all my spindles. You can easily tighten the piece by advancing the tailstock until the friction between the dead center and the piece is sufficient to let you turn. That way, if you get a catch, the piece just stops rotating (don't hold it too long, or it will burn.) Places like Craft Supplies now sell a dead center as a "safety drive", and its a common practice.

              Your Delta almost certainly is threaded 1"x8tpi at the head stock, with #2 Morse tapers on each end. If you want to jump right in, rip some 2x2's, cut them about 12" long, and have at them. Remember that with spindles, you always want to cut downhill - uphill is like sharpening a pencil the wrong way.

              Much more can be said, but I'd look for a local chapter of the AAW, and find some kind soul to show how to do this stuff. But be warned, its addictive!

              Bayard

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011
                little delta..... ?  this guy is pretty heavy.... at least 200lbs of cast iron ( we have moved a couple times.... it is no fun to move this )

                How little did you think it was? Or how big does it take for you to call it big? ( chuckle )

                I am going to rig up a tool rest off the other end of the head stock and I should be able to turn large bowls there
                ( within reason of course )

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2011
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hart <conalohairt@...> wrote:

                  > little delta..... ? this guy is pretty heavy.... at least 200lbs of cast
                  > iron ( we have moved a couple times.... it is no fun to move this )
                  >
                  > How little did you think it was? Or how big does it take for you to call it
                  > big? ( chuckle )
                  >
                  > I am going to rig up a tool rest off the other end of the head stock and I
                  > should be able to turn large bowls there
                  > ( within reason of course )

                  I'd call it little also. A big lathe weighs over a 1,0000 lbs (my big one only weighs about 500) and can turn a bowl 20 to 24 inches across (mine can only do 15, between centers, 24 off-axis)
                  That one looks like it can "only" do about 8

                  Before you think about anything really big, look at the speed. When I am doing something large, I start out at 250 rpm.

                  There is a simple formula for turning speed. Multiply the diameter of the object by the RPM (like 8 inches by 1000 RPM), this number should never exceed something like 7000 to 9000. Slower for roughing to round, which is why I start a large bowl at 250.

                  If you want to get serious about turning, I echo the "beware" and "join the AAW". I recently got my wife out to turn one thing... well, she just ordered her own turning jacket and has her own set of tools. She is also the new treasurer for the local wood-turning club (having just stepped down as Kingdom A&S officer)

                  Ralg
                  AnTir