RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Hinges

  • D. Young
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 18 11:35 AM

      I was about to plug Clays work....good stuff there.

      I also do some hinge and related work.  Sold a few on this forum.

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: osage224@...
      Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 01:49:33 -0700
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Hinges

        I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.

        For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.

      Clay

    • Scot Eddy
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 25 11:47 AM
        Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?

        Grace and Peace,

        Jovian
      • Duncan Sinclair
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 25 12:42 PM
          I've not heard of such a thing outside of a shopsmith. You are probably better of buying a lathe.

          Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
          Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
          and
          The Barony of Sternfeld
          Middle Kingdom

          Greenwood #514, F&AM

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 25 1:33 PM

            www.instructables.com

            Do a search for turning a drill press into a lathe.

            Jim

            Don't blink, you'll miss my flash of brilliance!

            Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?

            Grace and Peace,

            Jovian
          • Ralph
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 25 6:47 PM
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

              > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?
              > Grace and Peace,
              > Jovian

              The actual answer is Yes

              There is a commercial product called Vertilathe. It is suitable only for light, small, spindle work. I used mine to do some spindle about 9 by 3/4 inch. It's really not all that good.

              I replaced it with a mini-lathe, that I have since upgraded with a large lathe, which has been supplemented treadle lathe....

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • conradh@efn.org
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 26 2:58 PM

                > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill
                > press into a lathe?

                Alexander Weygers, in his _Complete Modern Blacksmith_,p. 54, shows how to
                make the conversion kit from scrap metal bits. Tools are the drill press
                itself, a couple of files, and a grinder if you have one. (A stemmed
                grindstone mounted in the drill press itself is satisfactory if you make
                the lathe tool rest first.)

                Basically you grind, file and turn a couple of heavy bolts into head and
                tail centers, then mount the head (driving) center in the drill chuck and
                the tail center in the center hole in the drill press's base plate or work
                table. The toolrest is a couple pieces of angle iron that bolt to the
                slots in the table. The conversion kit doesn't harm the drill press for
                any regular use.

                Weygers' book is a gold mine of information for anyone wanting to make
                their own woodworking tools or hardware. ISBN 0-89815-896-6 It's one
                of the two books I have all my students buy.

                Ulfhedinn
              • Scot Eddy
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 26 7:19 PM
                  Thanks for all the info, guys!

                  Jovian

                • avalonbear
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 27 9:11 AM
                    http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodturning-with-a-drill-press/

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?
                    > > Grace and Peace,
                    > > Jovian
                    > >
                    > The actual answer is Yes
                    >
                    > There is a commercial product called Vertilathe. It is suitable only for light, small, spindle work. I used mine to do some spindle about 9 by 3/4 inch. It's really not all that good.
                    >
                    > I replaced it with a mini-lathe, that I have since upgraded with a large lathe, which has been supplemented treadle lathe....
                    >
                    > TTFN
                    > Ralg
                    > AnTir

                  • Geirfold
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 22, 2011
                      Helsa!

                      I'm looking to find someone that makes and sells Viking Age chest hinges. These do not necessarily need to be Mastermyr style. If anyone here makes them or knows of a site where they can be perchased can you please either post here or send me an email?

                      Thanks,

                      Geirfold
                    • Duncan Sinclair
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 22, 2011
                        I've been looking for these too............

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 24, 2011
                          I can make them.

                          Fungi Forge makes can probably make them also.

                          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 25, 2011
                            Can you send an email with costs?

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                              Helsa!

                              Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on chests?

                              I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.

                              Thanks,

                              Geirfold halvblindi
                            • James Daily
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                Fungi Forge has some period hinges in stock and can make custom ones.

                                Lee Valley has some hand forged hinges.  Not sure if these designs are strictly period, but at least they're properly hand forged.

                                Van Dyke's Restorers has some "period-esque" hinges.

                              • bsrlee2@pacific.net.au
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                  Lee Valley

                                  http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                  The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                  rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                  back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                  out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                  rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                  over.

                                  Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                  site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                  I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                  3/8" thick in reality.

                                  regards
                                  Brusi of Orkney
                                  Rowany/Lochac

                                  > Helsa!
                                  >
                                  > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                  > chests?
                                  >
                                  > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Geirfold halvblindi
                                • Gary Link
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                    Ball and Ball  http://www.ballandball-us.com/

                                    They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.

                                    In Service
                                    Hal
                                    Middle

                                    To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: bsrlee2@...
                                    Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100

                                    Lee Valley

                                    http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                    The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                    rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                    back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                    out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                    rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                    over.

                                    Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                    site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                    I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                    3/8" thick in reality.

                                    regards
                                    Brusi of Orkney
                                    Rowany/Lochac

                                    > Helsa!
                                    >
                                    > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                    > chests?
                                    >
                                    > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    >
                                    > Geirfold halvblindi

                                  • Geirfold
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                      Thanks to everyone that posted. Helps a lot.

                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Gary Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

                                      > Ball and Ball
                                      > http://www.ballandball-us.com/
                                      > They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.
                                      > In ServiceHalMiddle
                                      >

                                      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                      > From: bsrlee2@...
                                      > Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
                                      > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

                                      > Lee Valley
                                      >

                                      > http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241
                                      >

                                      > The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                      >
                                      > rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                      >
                                      > back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                      >
                                      > out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                      >
                                      > rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                      >
                                      > over.
                                      >

                                      > Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                      >
                                      > site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                      >
                                      > I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                      >
                                      > 3/8" thick in reality.
                                      >

                                      > regards
                                      >
                                      > Brusi of Orkney
                                      >
                                      > Rowany/Lochac
                                      >

                                      > > Helsa!
                                      >

                                      > > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                      >
                                      > > chests?
                                      >

                                      > > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                      >

                                      > > Thanks,
                                      >

                                      > > Geirfold halvblindi

                                    • D. Young
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                                        I produce hinges, hand forged nails....etc

                                        Credits:

                                        I own numerous pieces of period furniture to study which provides excellent reference:

                                        • 1450 carved gothic chest
                                        • 1580 six board chest
                                        • 1630 joined stool
                                        • 1660 joined chest
                                        • 1650 carved box
                                        • numerous  17th, 18th pieces/components

                                        --Teach period woodworking using only period replica tools
                                        --Library has hundreds of furniture and blacksmithing texts
                                        --Been armouring and smithing for 30 years so I know metal.

                                        ...So if you need nails or hinges, I keep prices very reasonable because I realize that as hobbyists its not cheap to buy

                                        email  me  at  partsandtechnical@...

                                        or

                                        furnaceplans@...

                                        Happy to help