Re: Hinges

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 17, 2011
      Clay, I saw your site via ETSY. Very cool, I'll take a look at what you have offered right now and well talk in the next couple days.

      Thanks, Wulfgang

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, clay gilbert <osage224@...> wrote:

      >   I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.
      >
      >   For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.
      >
      > Clay

    • Malik al Haddad
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 17, 2011
        I get my nails at http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40387&cat=3,41306,41324&ap=1 1 lb about 130 nails are about $11.00.
        Malik

        --
        Y.I.S.
        Abu Shahid "Malik" al Haddad
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 18, 2011
          I'll second Tremont

          On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Malik al Haddad <malikalhaddad@...> wrote:

          I get my nails at http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40387&cat=3,41306,41324&ap=1 1 lb about 130 nails are about $11.00.
          Malik

          On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM, clay gilbert <osage224@...> wrote:

            I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.

            For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.

          Clay

          --
          Y.I.S.
          Abu Shahid "Malik" al Haddad

          --
          Jim Hart
            Conal OhAirt

        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 18, 2011

            I was about to plug Clays work....good stuff there.

            I also do some hinge and related work.  Sold a few on this forum.

                 Custom Commissions Welcome....!

            www.partsandtechnical.com

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: osage224@...
            Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 01:49:33 -0700
            Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Hinges

              I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.

              For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.

            Clay

          • Scot Eddy
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 25, 2011
              Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?

              Grace and Peace,

              Jovian
            • Duncan Sinclair
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 25, 2011
                I've not heard of such a thing outside of a shopsmith. You are probably better of buying a lathe.

                Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
                and
                The Barony of Sternfeld
                Middle Kingdom

                Greenwood #514, F&AM

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 25, 2011

                  www.instructables.com

                  Do a search for turning a drill press into a lathe.

                  Jim

                  Don't blink, you'll miss my flash of brilliance!

                  Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?

                  Grace and Peace,

                  Jovian
                • Ralph
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 25, 2011
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

                    > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?
                    > Grace and Peace,
                    > Jovian

                    The actual answer is Yes

                    There is a commercial product called Vertilathe. It is suitable only for light, small, spindle work. I used mine to do some spindle about 9 by 3/4 inch. It's really not all that good.

                    I replaced it with a mini-lathe, that I have since upgraded with a large lathe, which has been supplemented treadle lathe....

                    TTFN
                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • conradh@efn.org
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 26, 2011

                      > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill
                      > press into a lathe?

                      Alexander Weygers, in his _Complete Modern Blacksmith_,p. 54, shows how to
                      make the conversion kit from scrap metal bits. Tools are the drill press
                      itself, a couple of files, and a grinder if you have one. (A stemmed
                      grindstone mounted in the drill press itself is satisfactory if you make
                      the lathe tool rest first.)

                      Basically you grind, file and turn a couple of heavy bolts into head and
                      tail centers, then mount the head (driving) center in the drill chuck and
                      the tail center in the center hole in the drill press's base plate or work
                      table. The toolrest is a couple pieces of angle iron that bolt to the
                      slots in the table. The conversion kit doesn't harm the drill press for
                      any regular use.

                      Weygers' book is a gold mine of information for anyone wanting to make
                      their own woodworking tools or hardware. ISBN 0-89815-896-6 It's one
                      of the two books I have all my students buy.

                      Ulfhedinn
                    • Scot Eddy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 26, 2011
                        Thanks for all the info, guys!

                        Jovian

                      • avalonbear
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 27, 2011
                          http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodturning-with-a-drill-press/

                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?
                          > > Grace and Peace,
                          > > Jovian
                          > >
                          > The actual answer is Yes
                          >
                          > There is a commercial product called Vertilathe. It is suitable only for light, small, spindle work. I used mine to do some spindle about 9 by 3/4 inch. It's really not all that good.
                          >
                          > I replaced it with a mini-lathe, that I have since upgraded with a large lathe, which has been supplemented treadle lathe....
                          >
                          > TTFN
                          > Ralg
                          > AnTir

                        • Geirfold
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 22, 2011
                            Helsa!

                            I'm looking to find someone that makes and sells Viking Age chest hinges. These do not necessarily need to be Mastermyr style. If anyone here makes them or knows of a site where they can be perchased can you please either post here or send me an email?

                            Thanks,

                            Geirfold
                          • Duncan Sinclair
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 22, 2011
                              I've been looking for these too............

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 24, 2011
                                I can make them.

                                Fungi Forge makes can probably make them also.

                                To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 25, 2011
                                  Can you send an email with costs?

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                    Helsa!

                                    Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on chests?

                                    I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Geirfold halvblindi
                                  • James Daily
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                      Fungi Forge has some period hinges in stock and can make custom ones.

                                      Lee Valley has some hand forged hinges.  Not sure if these designs are strictly period, but at least they're properly hand forged.

                                      Van Dyke's Restorers has some "period-esque" hinges.

                                    • bsrlee2@pacific.net.au
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                        Lee Valley

                                        http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                        The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                        rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                        back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                        out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                        rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                        over.

                                        Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                        site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                        I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                        3/8" thick in reality.

                                        regards
                                        Brusi of Orkney
                                        Rowany/Lochac

                                        > Helsa!
                                        >
                                        > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                        > chests?
                                        >
                                        > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks,
                                        >
                                        > Geirfold halvblindi
                                      • Gary Link
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                          Ball and Ball  http://www.ballandball-us.com/

                                          They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.

                                          In Service
                                          Hal
                                          Middle

                                          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: bsrlee2@...
                                          Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100

                                          Lee Valley

                                          http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                          The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                          rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                          back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                          out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                          rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                          over.

                                          Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                          site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                          I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                          3/8" thick in reality.

                                          regards
                                          Brusi of Orkney
                                          Rowany/Lochac

                                          > Helsa!
                                          >
                                          > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                          > chests?
                                          >
                                          > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          >
                                          > Geirfold halvblindi

                                        • Geirfold
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                            Thanks to everyone that posted. Helps a lot.

                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Gary Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

                                            > Ball and Ball
                                            > http://www.ballandball-us.com/
                                            > They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.
                                            > In ServiceHalMiddle
                                            >

                                            > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                            > From: bsrlee2@...
                                            > Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
                                            > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

                                            > Lee Valley
                                            >

                                            > http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241
                                            >

                                            > The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                            >
                                            > rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                            >
                                            > back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                            >
                                            > out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                            >
                                            > rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                            >
                                            > over.
                                            >

                                            > Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                            >
                                            > site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                            >
                                            > I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                            >
                                            > 3/8" thick in reality.
                                            >

                                            > regards
                                            >
                                            > Brusi of Orkney
                                            >
                                            > Rowany/Lochac
                                            >

                                            > > Helsa!
                                            >

                                            > > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                            >
                                            > > chests?
                                            >

                                            > > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                            >

                                            > > Thanks,
                                            >

                                            > > Geirfold halvblindi

                                          • D. Young
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                                              I produce hinges, hand forged nails....etc

                                              Credits:

                                              I own numerous pieces of period furniture to study which provides excellent reference:

                                              • 1450 carved gothic chest
                                              • 1580 six board chest
                                              • 1630 joined stool
                                              • 1660 joined chest
                                              • 1650 carved box
                                              • numerous  17th, 18th pieces/components

                                              --Teach period woodworking using only period replica tools
                                              --Library has hundreds of furniture and blacksmithing texts
                                              --Been armouring and smithing for 30 years so I know metal.

                                              ...So if you need nails or hinges, I keep prices very reasonable because I realize that as hobbyists its not cheap to buy

                                              email  me  at  partsandtechnical@...

                                              or

                                              furnaceplans@...

                                              Happy to help