RE: [MedievalSawdust] Just an Intro and few question

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2011
      Highland Woodworking tends to carry middle as well as high end hand tools. You may want to look into the Woodriver line of hand-planes if that is a way you'd like to go. Medium range tools that are fairly good right out of the box. Most you may expect is to need to sharpen the blade for about 20 minutes to get it to operate like a Premium plane.
      "Bargain Basement" tools, when you really get down to it, are really not worth the deal. Yes, you can get a Buck Brothers jack plane for $40, but you'll then have to spend an hour or four tuning it up so that it has niceties like a flat sole and good contact on the cap iron.

      Hand tools have made a resurgence, especially with the introduction of the premium tool lines the last few years.

      Pedal powered lathe... Check out the current season of The Woodwright's shop, the episodes on a the continuous curve windsor rocker features one. The episodes available online. As far as plans, no idea, but if you are any good at reverse engineering by sight, it's a start.

      Vels

    • Duncan Sinclair
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2011
        I agree with Craigslist! I just recently found a barely used 14" bandsaw for 1/2 price. SCORE!!!

        Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
        Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
        and
        The Barony of Sternfeld
        Middle Kingdom

        Greenwood #514, F&AM

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2011
          On the subject of new hand tools, I have to put in a word for Lee Valley's Veritas line. Though, not as cheap as you might find on Craig's List, they about half the price of Lie-Neilsen. ($145 for a low angle block plane). They are really nice users, right out of the box and show a lot of attention to the details that matter for functionality.

          Gene "Fritz" Eisele
          Owner, Fritz Wilhelm, LLC
          welldressedtent.com

        • Karl Christoffers