Chart of wood weight per cubic foot

  • Crazy Cat Lady
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2011
      I thought this was a really neat reference for situations where the weight of the piece matters. It lists the weight per cubic foot of a bunch of species both green and at 20% moisture content.

      http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/weigt-wood-d_821.html

      I found it quite interesting to run the numbers for my chest's cut list- 15.58 lbs of poplar, 23.37 lbs of red oak, 26.16 pounds of white oak. It also confirmed my suspicion that SYP wouldn't be much if any weight savings over red oak (36-41 lbs/cf to red oak's 42).

      For quick reference, a 1x12x8' (3/4x11 1/4x96) is .46875 cf.

      -Kat Ferneley
    • Vels inn Viggladi
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2011
        Interesting table, good data for green wood working, most definitely.

        I think you'll find, though, that most of the wood you'll purchase is kiln dried with a water content about 8%, especially this time of year (5% if you decide to waste the money on the dessicated stuff sold at the big box stores). Come summer, the wood is likely to pick up a bit of moisture due to the higher humidity along the East Coast, but not much.

        Vels