Re: Period Materials.

  • i_odlin@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 7, 2011
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, geoffert@... wrote:
      > But first you must define "period"

      I don't have to. He does.

      The obvious assumption, given the rest of the gentleman's statement and that this list is "Medieval Sawdust", is that the period in question is roughly that of the Middle Ages and Renaissance; the SCA's standard definition of "period." It's up to him to broaden, narrow or amend that horizon.

      Saying "Everything that has ever been invented is 'period' to _some_ Period in history, especially the period in which it was invented and used" is plainly silly.

      He said it is impossible to say something is not period. I applied the common usage of the word "period" given the context and provided a glaringly obvious counterexample: An SR-71 Blackbird; an object utterly impossible (outside a science-fiction or science-fantasy scenario) to have been present in medieval Europe and therefore categorically and demonstrably non-period, thus refuting his statement.

      QED.

      -Iain