RE: [MedievalSawdust] Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

  • D. Young
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2011

      Well New World lumber would only be appropriate after 1500...and realistically after 1600 when the colonies are beginning in earnest.    Forgive me....I am focusing heavily on early colonial history, ie, the 17th century.   So I would not have an issue with a 1640 English chest being possibly or partially constructed of American white oak.   We know the trade existed.

      However my discussion about white oak still stands.   White oak is virtually identical to English oak species.

      Brown oaks and live oaks are a different kettle of fish.

      Also, many pines are damn hard to distinguish.  I dont work much pine but Ive seen period pine pieces to say this with reasonable comfort.

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: conalohairt@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 13:54:42 -0500
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

      new world wood......hmmmm. More than one way to look at this I think.......

      It really depends on what aspect you are trying to achieve in your quest for "periodness"

      If you want to reproduce an item as authentically as possible then 'Old World' woods.

      If you are trying to reproduce the mindset and approach to woodworking then I would think that
      picking the local wood that has the qualities and characteristics that the project needs. Think
      along the lines of what you might be able to go and find in the local area if you were a woodcutter
      or sawyer.