RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Six board chest construction methods?

  • D. Young
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
      I get most of my pieces from Europe.   I have a history presentation so over the years I have cultivated deals with antiquities dealers to keep an eye out for something I looking for.

      Im also a sucker for antiques...particularly pre 18th century stuff, thought I like that too.

      And anything is affordable....if you earn the trust of a dealer and make payments like a car.

      Another reason I buy is because I learn by studying the pieces....

      (and I dont always tell my wife, lol)

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: lorderec@...
      Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:36:03 +0000
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Six board chest construction methods?

      drew, where do you get stuff like that!? (and what's it run$?)

      Regarding boxes of this type:
      There's a german box from Klagenfurt showing the sides being let into the end panels, heavily bound with iron strapping. An east-anglian chest in the V&A from 1500 the sides are butten and nailed onto the endboards. Here are some pictures
      http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=338
      http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=292
      http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Craft/voxtorp.html
      http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/3004626.JPG
      http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest31.jpg
      http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI11996b01a.jpg
      http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests.html
      http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O93911/chest/
      http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/laneham/index.htm
      http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012852.JPG
      http://www.albrechts.se/gallery/artifactgallery/FornsalenVisby/kista1fornsalen.html
      http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest29.jpg
      http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest33.jpg
      http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012752.JPG

      Also the Mary rose is interesting because it was chock full of various sized boxes of several different construction types. Some sat directly on the deck, and some were raised on feet. some had hinged lids, some had no hinges. There are four different types of assembly. Some were assembled with nails and boards butted to each other, some were nailed with rebates. A third sort are pegged with rebates, and the last type is nailed and dovetailed. A little later than you're looking for, but demonstrative of different styles/types of boxes coexisting at the samed time and place. Hope this helps.