Re: Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

  • james
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3, 2011
      I agree with Will. In my opinion, you should identify what wood was used and then what wood you use and why, especially as to how it emulates (or doesn't) the qualities of the original in relation to the product produced.

      In oak, for example, say I want to make a shingle based on a shingle find from London. Living in Maine, my options are very limited. Most of our sizeable oak species are red oak and it's doubtful I'd even be able to find/import English oak in sufficient size to actually rive my own much less afford it. If I'm forced to use this, I should explain that I have no access to English oak and that this is the only local oak species that comes close and that I'm looking at it based it's cleaving properties and overall grain. If I'm on the game, I would then explain that it's crap for shingles because it won't weather more than a few years outside.

      I use this example because I'm being forced to contemplate it for a possible video on making shingles for HowToHistory.com. It does help to explain regional differences, even in the US. In NC, where I'm originally from, oak shingles were not too uncommon. Here in Maine, they use Atlantic white cedar. Not only a different wood, but an entirely different approach to riving as well.

      Cedric

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...> wrote:

      > As a New World medievalist, I try to look for woods that have similar
      > characteristics to medieval woods. For example, for "english brown oak," I
      > substitute north american white oak for structural members and north
      > American red oak for wide panels and boards. The former has similar
      > strength while the latter has, IMO, a closer grain pattern.
      >

      > For linden, I use basswood, and so on.
      >

      > Will

    • Jeff
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 12, 2011
        Kat,

        I contacted Gary, and he reloaded the site. All should be good now. In spite of it's being a bit dated, I still consider this to be one of the best sources on medieval woodworking and tools.

        Jeff/Geoff