Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3 10:10 AM
      On Thu, February 3, 2011 9:09 am, Dan Baker wrote:
      > I have dealt with this problem for years, and successfully argued my
      > points with A&S entries to the point where I don't lose points for using
      > new world lumber.

      > Now why the difference? Here is my theory, when some chieftain died
      > they went to the local woodworker and said "Hey Sven, we need these beds
      > made by next week, we gotta put him in the ground before he starts to
      > smell". And Sven looked at his stock of wood in the pile, and said "Hmm,
      > I have this
      > Beech already to go, I'll use it" and similarly for the other ship using
      > Oak. To me the fact that two sets of the same furniture were made in the
      > same region with different materials is an excellent argument for using
      > what you have on hand.
      >
      > I have made a chest out of Sycamore and entered it in A&S and lost no
      > points making that argument. So use the wood you have available that fits
      > your financial means, and meets the requirements of the project.
      > Obviously you
      > can't use Pine to replace Oak where strength is required. And I never use
      > plywood, except if prototypes and mock ups. And if you use pressboard
      > someone should smack you on the head :P

      Agree on all points. In addition, I like to look at samples or pictures to
      get an idea of grain appearance and the like. Many sorts of trees are
      essentially circumpolar--the same genus goes all the way around the
      Northern Hemisphere in the right climate zones. (Douglas Fir grew wild in
      Europe before getting wiped out by glaciers when the Ice Ages began;
      apparently the ice cap coming down from Scandinavia met the one spreading
      off the Alps/Carpathians, and the Doug Fir's habitat was in the middle!)

      Checking the grain appearance can be backed up by consulting traditional
      craftsmen, especially European emigres. I've heard a French cooper say
      that the Northwest's white oak (Quercus garryana) is a very good
      substitute for French oaks when it comes to making barrel staves. The guy
      didn't think California oaks were suitable at all.

      English craftsmen think that ash is the unquestioned best wood for tool
      handles. But when English settlers came to the east coast of North
      America, the local ash wasn't so good. They learned about hickory from
      Native Americans, though, who liked it for bows and their own tool
      handles, and hickory is now regarded as the "gold standard" for handles in
      this country. Here in the northwest, however, we have Oregon ash, which
      is just as wonderful a handle wood as English ash. I love the stuff--it's
      just as tough as hickory, but springier, so that it doesn't jar your hands
      when the blade goes into the work. The first time I made an ash handle
      for a sledgehammer, I almost sawed off all my hickory handles for
      firewood! I haven't bought a commercial hickory handle since; I've
      seasoned a stash of ash and just get out the drawknife when an old handle
      breaks.

      _And_ the ash handles and plane bodies I have made have grain and color
      that look just like the color pictures my English friends post on the
      bodger's forum! So in this case we have a near-perfect match available,
      for both performance and appearance.

      I really recommend that forum, btw, for anyone interested in period
      woodworking, especially if you are interested in getting your own wood
      from trees and/or traditional hand tools. They're friendly and helpful
      with questions, too.

      www.bodgers.org.uk

      Ulfhedinn
    • Jeff
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 12 4:57 PM
        Kat,

        I contacted Gary, and he reloaded the site. All should be good now. In spite of it's being a bit dated, I still consider this to be one of the best sources on medieval woodworking and tools.

        Jeff/Geoff