Re: [MedievalSawdust] Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

  • Colleen Vince
    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3 8:34 AM
      Maple was used alot in woodturning in england. It was particularly used in anything food related. The closed grain prevented nasty gunk sticking to the wood, and it didn't change the taste of the food or beverage that was in contact with the wood.

      Lots of wood finds are found in York excavations. Don't know about large objects, but bowls plates, plateers, cups, boxes, mazers... all were made of Maple.

      Cheers
      Mary Ostler

    • Jeff
      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 12 4:57 PM
        Kat,

        I contacted Gary, and he reloaded the site. All should be good now. In spite of it's being a bit dated, I still consider this to be one of the best sources on medieval woodworking and tools.

        Jeff/Geoff