RE: [MedievalSawdust] Wood to use to be period???... What do you think

    Message 1 of 41 , Feb 3 7:46 AM

      As a New World medievalist, I try to look for woods that have similar characteristics to medieval woods.  For example, for “english brown oak,” I substitute north american white oak for structural members and north American red oak for wide panels and boards.  The former has similar strength while the latter has, IMO, a closer grain pattern.

      For linden, I use basswood, and so on.

      Will

      Message 41 of 41 , Feb 12 4:57 PM
        Kat,

        I contacted Gary, and he reloaded the site. All should be good now. In spite of it's being a bit dated, I still consider this to be one of the best sources on medieval woodworking and tools.

        Jeff/Geoff