Re: Six board chest construction methods?

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      Thanks for those comprehensive lists and answers!
      Vels, my bad, I should've mentioned that my particular (and persona) interest lies in Migration Period Northern Europe or Scandinavia, somewhere around what became Denmark, as close to 600 CE as I can get.
      Though, the more I learn, the more I see that everywhen in period has something interesting to offer.
      Frode

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

      > Just to get it out of the way --- How "Early Period" and Where?

    • D. Young
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        Heads up:

        I have a circa 1575 Elizabethan chest arriving from the UK shortly.   It is original/authentic.

        When it arrives I will photograph the heck out of it...and share.

        A 1630 joined chest is also coming along with that shipment.   I photo and share it also.

        cheers
        Drew

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: anthonyspangler@...
        Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:40:55 +0000
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Six board chest construction methods?

        Greetings,
        I'm following with interest the various threads on chests and tools (modern) and fixtures and jigs.  I'm wondering, as a new aspiring demonstrator, how might the basic chest be assembled, using only early period tools?  I've seen the plans in the Files section (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/files/chest4simple.pdf ), and let's say for simplicity sake that the boards are pre-cut, but not half lapped or drilled; what proper early period tools would I want to assemble basic chests for demos?
        Thanks,
        Frode

      • lorderec
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
          drew, where do you get stuff like that!? (and what's it run$?)

          Regarding boxes of this type:
          There's a german box from Klagenfurt showing the sides being let into the end panels, heavily bound with iron strapping. An east-anglian chest in the V&A from 1500 the sides are butten and nailed onto the endboards. Here are some pictures
          http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=338
          http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=292
          http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Craft/voxtorp.html
          http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/3004626.JPG
          http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest31.jpg
          http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI11996b01a.jpg
          http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests.html
          http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O93911/chest/
          http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/laneham/index.htm
          http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012852.JPG
          http://www.albrechts.se/gallery/artifactgallery/FornsalenVisby/kista1fornsalen.html
          http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest29.jpg
          http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest33.jpg
          http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012752.JPG

          Also the Mary rose is interesting because it was chock full of various sized boxes of several different construction types. Some sat directly on the deck, and some were raised on feet. some had hinged lids, some had no hinges. There are four different types of assembly. Some were assembled with nails and boards butted to each other, some were nailed with rebates. A third sort are pegged with rebates, and the last type is nailed and dovetailed. A little later than you're looking for, but demonstrative of different styles/types of boxes coexisting at the samed time and place. Hope this helps.

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

          > Heads up:
          >
          > I have a circa 1575 Elizabethan chest arriving from the UK shortly. It is original/authentic.
          >
          > When it arrives I will photograph the heck out of it...and share.
          >
          > A 1630 joined chest is also coming along with that shipment. I photo and share it also.
          >

          > cheers
          > Drew
          >

          > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
          >
          > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
          > www.partsandtechnical.com
          >
          > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
          >

          > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          > From: anthonyspangler@...
          > Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:40:55 +0000
          > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Six board chest construction methods?

          > Greetings,
          > I'm following with interest the various threads on chests and tools (modern) and fixtures and jigs. I'm wondering, as a new aspiring demonstrator, how might the basic chest be assembled, using only early period tools? I've seen the plans in the Files section (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/files/chest4simple.pdf ), and let's say for simplicity sake that the boards are pre-cut, but not half lapped or drilled; what proper early period tools would I want to assemble basic chests for demos?
          > Thanks,
          > Frode

        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
            I get most of my pieces from Europe.   I have a history presentation so over the years I have cultivated deals with antiquities dealers to keep an eye out for something I looking for.

            Im also a sucker for antiques...particularly pre 18th century stuff, thought I like that too.

            And anything is affordable....if you earn the trust of a dealer and make payments like a car.

            Another reason I buy is because I learn by studying the pieces....

            (and I dont always tell my wife, lol)

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: lorderec@...
            Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:36:03 +0000