RE: [MedievalSawdust] Six board chest construction methods?

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
      Just to get it out of the way --- How "Early Period" and Where?

      Given that the boards are pre-cut, four-square, et al. with that design -

      Assembly Tools circa 800-1000 Northern Europe:
      Hand Saw (No Back, Straight handle most likely)
      ~1/4" Spoon Bit in Auger T Handle
      Hammer (Iron Head, Flat face, no claw)
      Small Knife for marking
      Wrought Iron Cut nails with head greater than 1/4" diameter
      May or May Not use Hide Glue in addition to Nails

      Assembly Tools circa 800-1000 Northern Italy and Southern France
      Frame, Turning or Bow Saw
      ~1/4" Spoon Bit in Auger T Handle, Possible use of Brace
      Hammer (Iron Head, Flat face, Axe-Back)
      Small Bladed Marking Knife
      Wrought Iron Cut nails with head greater than 1/4" diameter

      Assembly Tools circa 800-1000 Constantinople, Southern Italy and Greece
      Frame Saw and bed mounted to Treadle Lathe
      Fine Bradawl (No reason to get out the brace)
      Brass Hammer (Like "Modern" Plane Hammer)
      Small Bladed Knife
      Cast Brass or Cast Silver Nails (because these are mostly decorative)
      Casein, Hide or Fish Glue (to bind joinery)
      Handscrew Clamps (wooden screws) with extenders or F-Style Clamps (again, wooden screws, slightly different than our modern F-Clamps)
      Scraping Iron (for finishing and removing tool marks)

      Vels

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        Thanks for those comprehensive lists and answers!
        Vels, my bad, I should've mentioned that my particular (and persona) interest lies in Migration Period Northern Europe or Scandinavia, somewhere around what became Denmark, as close to 600 CE as I can get.
        Though, the more I learn, the more I see that everywhen in period has something interesting to offer.
        Frode

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

        > Just to get it out of the way --- How "Early Period" and Where?

      • D. Young
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Heads up:

          I have a circa 1575 Elizabethan chest arriving from the UK shortly.   It is original/authentic.

          When it arrives I will photograph the heck out of it...and share.

          A 1630 joined chest is also coming along with that shipment.   I photo and share it also.

          cheers
          Drew

               Custom Commissions Welcome....!

          www.partsandtechnical.com

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
            drew, where do you get stuff like that!? (and what's it run$?)

            Regarding boxes of this type:
            There's a german box from Klagenfurt showing the sides being let into the end panels, heavily bound with iron strapping. An east-anglian chest in the V&A from 1500 the sides are butten and nailed onto the endboards. Here are some pictures
            http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=338
            http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=292
            http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Craft/voxtorp.html
            http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/3004626.JPG
            http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest31.jpg
            http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI11996b01a.jpg
            http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests.html
            http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O93911/chest/
            http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/laneham/index.htm
            http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012852.JPG
            http://www.albrechts.se/gallery/artifactgallery/FornsalenVisby/kista1fornsalen.html
            http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest29.jpg
            http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest33.jpg
            http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012752.JPG

            Also the Mary rose is interesting because it was chock full of various sized boxes of several different construction types. Some sat directly on the deck, and some were raised on feet. some had hinged lids, some had no hinges. There are four different types of assembly. Some were assembled with nails and boards butted to each other, some were nailed with rebates. A third sort are pegged with rebates, and the last type is nailed and dovetailed. A little later than you're looking for, but demonstrative of different styles/types of boxes coexisting at the samed time and place. Hope this helps.

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

            > Heads up:
            >
            > I have a circa 1575 Elizabethan chest arriving from the UK shortly. It is original/authentic.
            >
            > When it arrives I will photograph the heck out of it...and share.
            >
            > A 1630 joined chest is also coming along with that shipment. I photo and share it also.
            >

            > cheers
            > Drew
            >

            > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
            >
            > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
            > www.partsandtechnical.com
            >
            > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
            >

            > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            > From: anthonyspangler@...
            > Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:40:55 +0000
            > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Six board chest construction methods?

            > Greetings,
            > I'm following with interest the various threads on chests and tools (modern) and fixtures and jigs. I'm wondering, as a new aspiring demonstrator, how might the basic chest be assembled, using only early period tools? I've seen the plans in the Files section (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/files/chest4simple.pdf ), and let's say for simplicity sake that the boards are pre-cut, but not half lapped or drilled; what proper early period tools would I want to assemble basic chests for demos?
            > Thanks,
            > Frode

          • D. Young
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
              I get most of my pieces from Europe.   I have a history presentation so over the years I have cultivated deals with antiquities dealers to keep an eye out for something I looking for.

              Im also a sucker for antiques...particularly pre 18th century stuff, thought I like that too.

              And anything is affordable....if you earn the trust of a dealer and make payments like a car.

              Another reason I buy is because I learn by studying the pieces....

              (and I dont always tell my wife, lol)

              To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              From: lorderec@...
              Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:36:03 +0000