Six board chest construction methods?

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2011
      Greetings,
      I'm following with interest the various threads on chests and tools (modern) and fixtures and jigs.  I'm wondering, as a new aspiring demonstrator, how might the basic chest be assembled, using only early period tools?  I've seen the plans in the Files section (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/files/chest4simple.pdf ), and let's say for simplicity sake that the boards are pre-cut, but not half lapped or drilled; what proper early period tools would I want to assemble basic chests for demos?
      Thanks,
      Frode
    • Trevor Payne
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
        The easiest way to think about it is to remove anything power driven.  So, how would you make this chest with only hand tools?  Those tools are pretty much what you are going to be using in a period since as well.

        Hand saw
        flat chisel
        hand drill
        straight edge
        right angle square

        Aiden

        "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
        --Benjamin Franklin--

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
          Just to get it out of the way --- How "Early Period" and Where?

          Given that the boards are pre-cut, four-square, et al. with that design -

          Assembly Tools circa 800-1000 Northern Europe:
          Hand Saw (No Back, Straight handle most likely)
          ~1/4" Spoon Bit in Auger T Handle
          Hammer (Iron Head, Flat face, no claw)
          Small Knife for marking
          Wrought Iron Cut nails with head greater than 1/4" diameter
          May or May Not use Hide Glue in addition to Nails

          Assembly Tools circa 800-1000 Northern Italy and Southern France
          Frame, Turning or Bow Saw
          ~1/4" Spoon Bit in Auger T Handle, Possible use of Brace
          Hammer (Iron Head, Flat face, Axe-Back)
          Small Bladed Marking Knife
          Wrought Iron Cut nails with head greater than 1/4" diameter

          Assembly Tools circa 800-1000 Constantinople, Southern Italy and Greece
          Frame Saw and bed mounted to Treadle Lathe
          Fine Bradawl (No reason to get out the brace)
          Brass Hammer (Like "Modern" Plane Hammer)
          Small Bladed Knife
          Cast Brass or Cast Silver Nails (because these are mostly decorative)
          Casein, Hide or Fish Glue (to bind joinery)
          Handscrew Clamps (wooden screws) with extenders or F-Style Clamps (again, wooden screws, slightly different than our modern F-Clamps)
          Scraping Iron (for finishing and removing tool marks)

          Vels

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            Thanks for those comprehensive lists and answers!
            Vels, my bad, I should've mentioned that my particular (and persona) interest lies in Migration Period Northern Europe or Scandinavia, somewhere around what became Denmark, as close to 600 CE as I can get.
            Though, the more I learn, the more I see that everywhen in period has something interesting to offer.
            Frode

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

            > Just to get it out of the way --- How "Early Period" and Where?

          • D. Young
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
              Heads up:

              I have a circa 1575 Elizabethan chest arriving from the UK shortly.   It is original/authentic.

              When it arrives I will photograph the heck out of it...and share.

              A 1630 joined chest is also coming along with that shipment.   I photo and share it also.

              cheers
              Drew

                   Custom Commissions Welcome....!

              www.partsandtechnical.com

              To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
                drew, where do you get stuff like that!? (and what's it run$?)

                Regarding boxes of this type:
                There's a german box from Klagenfurt showing the sides being let into the end panels, heavily bound with iron strapping. An east-anglian chest in the V&A from 1500 the sides are butten and nailed onto the endboards. Here are some pictures
                http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=338
                http://www.bunrattycollection.com/search.php?i=292
                http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Craft/voxtorp.html
                http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/3004626.JPG
                http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest31.jpg
                http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI11996b01a.jpg
                http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests.html
                http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O93911/chest/
                http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/laneham/index.htm
                http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012852.JPG
                http://www.albrechts.se/gallery/artifactgallery/FornsalenVisby/kista1fornsalen.html
                http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest29.jpg
                http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chests/stbg-chest33.jpg
                http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7012752.JPG

                Also the Mary rose is interesting because it was chock full of various sized boxes of several different construction types. Some sat directly on the deck, and some were raised on feet. some had hinged lids, some had no hinges. There are four different types of assembly. Some were assembled with nails and boards butted to each other, some were nailed with rebates. A third sort are pegged with rebates, and the last type is nailed and dovetailed. A little later than you're looking for, but demonstrative of different styles/types of boxes coexisting at the samed time and place. Hope this helps.

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

                > Heads up:
                >
                > I have a circa 1575 Elizabethan chest arriving from the UK shortly. It is original/authentic.
                >
                > When it arrives I will photograph the heck out of it...and share.
                >
                > A 1630 joined chest is also coming along with that shipment. I photo and share it also.
                >

                > cheers
                > Drew
                >

                > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
                >
                > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
                > www.partsandtechnical.com
                >
                > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
                >

                > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                > From: anthonyspangler@...
                > Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:40:55 +0000
                > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Six board chest construction methods?

                > Greetings,
                > I'm following with interest the various threads on chests and tools (modern) and fixtures and jigs. I'm wondering, as a new aspiring demonstrator, how might the basic chest be assembled, using only early period tools? I've seen the plans in the Files section (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/files/chest4simple.pdf ), and let's say for simplicity sake that the boards are pre-cut, but not half lapped or drilled; what proper early period tools would I want to assemble basic chests for demos?
                > Thanks,
                > Frode

              • D. Young
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
                  I get most of my pieces from Europe.   I have a history presentation so over the years I have cultivated deals with antiquities dealers to keep an eye out for something I looking for.

                  Im also a sucker for antiques...particularly pre 18th century stuff, thought I like that too.

                  And anything is affordable....if you earn the trust of a dealer and make payments like a car.

                  Another reason I buy is because I learn by studying the pieces....

                  (and I dont always tell my wife, lol)

                  To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  From: lorderec@...
                  Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:36:03 +0000