Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: needing plans

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
      On Sat, January 22, 2011 10:49 am, Ron wrote:
      > Based on the feedback you already received, I drew up plans in Google
      > Sketchup for a 6-board chest with what someone here called "Norse
      > half-lap" joinery.

      That was I who called it "Norse half-lap". Does anyone know any real name
      for it? (Probably something with ten Scandinavian syllables--I may be
      sorry I asked!)

      > The top is shown simply resting on the box. I'll let you figure out how
      > to hinge the lid - leather, interlocking clinched staples, or a more
      > modern barrel hinge. whatever you choose, consider some kind of stop or
      > chain to hold the lid in an open position .

      Period hinges I've seen were the interlocked staples or wrap-pin types.
      Wrap-pins have a back piece with a hole punched in the top end, where the
      upper edge of the hole is flattened to a more-or-less straight line. This
      flat portion becomes the pin. The lid part of the hinge simply goes
      through that hole and wraps around the flattened pin part of the other
      iron strap.

      Depending on how they are made and installed, you may be able to just open
      the lid a full 270 degrees and lay it on the back of the box. Otherwise,
      a strap or chain preventer to keep the lid from flopping is convenient and
      may protect the hinges or the wood they fasten to from damage. A flopping
      lid has leverage and can deliver quite a shock.

      Leather has the virtue of simplicity and no hard lumps sticking up, as
      period hinges sometimes do.

      Ulfhedinn